5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 10:45 AM by Harm Millaard

Are my computer specs alright?

firewrks933

Hey,

I'm running Adobe Premiere CS4 and its freezing on me regularly, and the sample video screen does not payback smoothly. It worked alright for a while, but all of sudden things have gotten worse, its freezing more and more often. I don't have any other programs running. Here's the specs:

HP a6567c

Core 2 Quad Q6600

4GB RAM

PNY Verto 9600 GT 512GB

Would upgrading my video card improve performance?

If not, what should I do to correct this problem?

Thanks all,

• 1. Re: Are my computer specs alright?
          Level 4

Hi,

Give us info on your hard drives...space available, pagefile size, what hard drive your video files are on...

There are a lot of threads here about how to tune up your computer so you get the most out of it and good performance...

Rod

• 2. Re: Are my computer specs alright?
            firewrks933 Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

My main hard drive is 640GB, its almost full, maybe 5-10 GB left, my secondary is a 1.5 TB, with about 200 GB on it. Would cleaning up the main drive solve some problems?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Are my computer specs alright?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

firewrks933 wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

My main hard drive is 640GB, its almost full, maybe 5-10 GB left, my secondary is a 1.5 TB, with about 200 GB on it. Would cleaning up the main drive solve some problems?

Thanks again

Well get rid of all that garbage on your main drive or the absolute best solution is just get a new one (or more) because you definitely are drive poor.  Only put you OS and applications on your main drive.  I believe in the WD VelociRaptor 150 GB drive for my C: drives.   I imagine with only 5-10 GB left it would be impossible to defragment so it is an absolute mess.

For CS4 your graphics card is not significant in performance.  Tuning your OS will help significantly, but you have not mentioned whatyou are running.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 4. Re: Are my computer specs alright?
                Level 4

Hi,

I agree with Bill...and yes, cleaning up your C drive would help a lot...it's kinda FULL....

Until you can actually get a new C drive you could try putting your windows pagefile on the 2nd hard drive...

You are probably using a pagefile on your C drive now...so put it on the 2nd drive instead...make it 1.5 times your ram size ( you have 4 gig ram right? so 6 gig pagefile )  and make that the minimum and maximum size....so it doesn't change size as you use it...and get more fragmented later...

If you get rid of about 20 % of what's on your C drive and then defrag it ( will probably take a long time ) that would help too..

Rod

• 5. Re: Are my computer specs alright?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

If you have more than 50 GB on your OS disk, you are treading on a dangerous path. If you need more space, get more disks.

If your free space on any disk goes below 35%, it is time to add disk space.

So your first step is to remove around 550 GB of crap from your boot disk.