14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2008 12:50 PM by halfpint23

Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF

KB_Boy Level 1
      Hi:

This is a pretty basic question but after searching the Dreamweaver Bible I can't find the answer. I want to put a word document on a site. I am considering 2 options: 1) just put a downloadable PDF on the site or 2) import the text from the word doc and just put it as another page on the site. All I can figure out so far is to cut and pace from the word doc to a dreamweaver page. I'm reading about import word html command but can't find it. My questions are: 1) how to I include a PDF file and 2) where is the import word html command located.

Thanks,

Rex
        • 1. Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
          Chris Mattingly Level 1
          I would go with the PDF document, since plug-ins for viewing them within web browsers are pretty ubiquitous. I would never use a word document to create an HTML page. Word's HTML encoding is so notoriously bad that they included a command in Dreamweaver just to clean it up. Anyway, adding a PDF is super easy in Dreamweaver. All you have to do is create a hyperlink, then in the properties panel under link, designate the proper file path.

Whether the file is opened in the plug-in or downloaded depends on your browser's plug-in settings (I think). If the plug-in is installed in the client browser, the PDF will open in the browser window; otherwise (at least in most cases) your browser will download the file.

See a sample of this here: http://www.miiidesign.com/ ... just click on the "resume" graphic.
          • 2. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
            Level 7
            > 2) where is the import word html command located.

FILE | Import > Word Document

1) how to I include a PDF file

You don't. You link to it as you would link to any other file.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"KB Boy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:favun7$e1r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi:
            >
            > This is a pretty basic question but after searching the Dreamweaver Bible
            > I
            > can't find the answer. I want to put a word document on a site. I am
            > considering 2 options: 1) just put a downloadable PDF on the site or 2)
            > import
            > the text from the word doc and just put it as another page on the site.
            > All I
            > can figure out so far is to cut and pace from the word doc to a
            > dreamweaver
            > page. I'm reading about import word html command but can't find it. My
            > questions are: 1) how to I include a PDF file and 2) where is the import
            > word
            > html command located.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Rex
            >

• 3. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
              LuvMyKidz Level 1
              to include a PDF, simply save the document in your site folder then link to it. When you link to it, make sure you set the target for _blank, this will open the PDF in a new window. Hope this helps.
              • 4. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                Level 7
                > this will open the PDF in a new window.

Sometimes.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                ==================

"LuvMyKidz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:fb49kp$c66$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > to include a PDF, simply save the document in your site folder then link
                > to it. When you link to it, make sure you set the target for _blank, this
                > will open the PDF in a new window. Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                  i'm not sure that anyone will be able to help me with this, but i link to some PDFs, and have found that if i previously had Acrobat open (even if i close it first) when it try to download the PDF it freezes my browser.

does this happen to anyone else? should i worry about it, or is it probably just a silly glitch on my computer?
                  • 6. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                    Level 7
                    .oO(n h c)

>i'm not sure that anyone will be able to help me with this, but i link to some
                    >PDFs, and have found that if i previously had Acrobat open (even if i close it
                    >first) when it try to download the PDF it freezes my browser.
                    >
                    > does this happen to anyone else? should i worry about it, or is it probably
                    >just a silly glitch on my computer?

I've encountered something similar a while ago. I had to open the task
                    manager to kill the Acrobat process, before I was able to open another
                    PDF again. That's why I don't use the Acrobat plugin anymore - it was
                    too buggy in my non-IE browsers.

Actually I don't use Acrobat at all at the moment, I prefer the Foxit
                    Reader. Much smaller and faster.

Micha
                    • 7. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                      Level 7
                      n h c wrote:
                      > i'm not sure that anyone will be able to help me with this, but i link to some
                      > PDFs, and have found that if i previously had Acrobat open (even if i close it
                      > first) when it try to download the PDF it freezes my browser.
                      >
                      > does this happen to anyone else? should i worry about it, or is it probably
                      > just a silly glitch on my computer?
                      >
                      I don't know if this has been covered previously, but how large is the
                      pdf? I have found that with large files, esp. with slow connections, the
                      computer can indeed seem to freeze while downloading the pdf, and seems
                      to give no indication that this is what is happening. Once finished, the
                      pdf displays and all is once again right with the world.

Harvey
                      • 8. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                        the PDFs aren't that big. i'd say an average of 300kb. and the thing is, it only happens if i had Acrobat open before trying to download it. if the browser freezes and i have to end task on it and restart, then go back to download, it works just fine. or if i didn't have Acrobat open at all before trying to download. basically, it only happens if Acrobat is or was open before or while trying to download the PDF. it seems to be something with the Acrobat program itself.

and you're right that sometimes it does eventually unfreeze, but not all the time.

i guess i'm mainly wondering if this is a common problem. but there haven't been any complaints yet, so i'm hoping it's just my computer.
                        • 9. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                          Level 7
                          n h c wrote:
                          > the PDFs aren't that big. i'd say an average of 300kb. and the thing is, it
                          > only happens if i had Acrobat open before trying to download it. if the browser
                          > freezes and i have to end task on it and restart, then go back to download, it
                          > works just fine. or if i didn't have Acrobat open at all before trying to
                          > download. basically, it only happens if Acrobat is or was open before or while
                          > trying to download the PDF. it seems to be something with the Acrobat program
                          > itself.
                          >
                          > and you're right that sometimes it does eventually unfreeze, but not all the
                          > time.
                          >
                          > i guess i'm mainly wondering if this is a common problem. but there haven't
                          > been any complaints yet, so i'm hoping it's just my computer.
                          >
                          I haven't encountered it before -I am a tech. This sounds like an issue
                          with your computer, and more the point with Acrobat as a helper object
                          with your browser (I think I got the terminalogy right). I would
                          probably think about uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat. Are you
                          using the free reader or the full Acrobat? If just the reader, you can
                          go ahead and dl the latest from their site. You may want to reboot in
                          between, just because.

Good luck,
                          Harvey
                          • 10. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                            thanks for the advice! i'll give it a shot.
                            • 11. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                              halfpint23 Level 1
                              Done all the above.

Running DW MX2004.
                              I have a pdf file created by my attorney of my stallion's breeding contract. I need to have it downloadable from a link in my website. The file resides in a folder in the Site, and is linked correctly, I think. I highlighted the words I wished to create as a link, right-click on them as highlighted, select create link, etc.
                              When I run it on the 'net, I get the dreaded 404 Page Not Found screen.

I have moved the file to another folder, re-linked etc three times, and still get the same result. The Browser Preview brings it up flawlessly! PDF file is in Acrobat 7.0, file size is about 160k.

Here is the page in question

http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Ollie03.html

I really do need to resolve this pretty soon, breeding season is upon us!

Thanks in advance for any help.
                              • 12. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                                Level 7
                                This file -

http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/News_files/contract.pdf

is not there. Where did you put it? You did upload it, right?

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                ==================

"halfpint23" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:fol1ng$e3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Done all the above.
                                >
                                > Running DW MX2004.
                                > I have a pdf file created by my attorney of my stallion's breeding
                                > contract. I
                                > need to have it downloadable from a link in my website. The file resides
                                > in a
                                > folder in the Site, and is linked correctly, I think. I highlighted the
                                > words I
                                > wished to create as a link, right-click on them as highlighted, select
                                > create
                                > link, etc.
                                > When I run it on the 'net, I get the dreaded 404 Page Not Found screen.
                                >
                                > I have moved the file to another folder, re-linked etc three times, and
                                > still
                                > get the same result. The Browser Preview brings it up flawlessly! PDF file
                                > is
                                > in Acrobat 7.0, file size is about 160k.
                                >
                                > Here is the page in question
                                >
                                > http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Ollie03.html
                                >
                                > I really do need to resolve this pretty soon, breeding season is upon us!
                                >
                                > Thanks in advance for any help.
                                >

• 13. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                                  Level 7
                                  Hello,

In the files panel in DW, select Remote View from the dropdown menu.
                                  In the Remote Site window below, find the folder News_Files.
                                  It should be in the same directory as Ollie03.htm.
                                  Open the folder. Is the contract.pdf inside?

If not, select Local View from the dropdown.
                                  Open the News_Files folder in the Local Files view.
                                  Select contract.pdf and click the Blue Up Arrow (Put File) button.

Sorry if you already know all this, but looking in that folder on your site
                                  suggests contract.pdf is not there.

Take care,
                                  Tim

"halfpint23" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                  news:fol1ng$e3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Done all the above.
                                  >
                                  > Running DW MX2004.
                                  > I have a pdf file created by my attorney of my stallion's breeding
                                  > contract. I
                                  > need to have it downloadable from a link in my website. The file resides
                                  > in a
                                  > folder in the Site, and is linked correctly, I think. I highlighted the
                                  > words I
                                  > wished to create as a link, right-click on them as highlighted, select
                                  > create
                                  > link, etc.
                                  > When I run it on the 'net, I get the dreaded 404 Page Not Found screen.
                                  >
                                  > I have moved the file to another folder, re-linked etc three times, and
                                  > still
                                  > get the same result. The Browser Preview brings it up flawlessly! PDF file
                                  > is
                                  > in Acrobat 7.0, file size is about 160k.
                                  >
                                  > Here is the page in question
                                  >
                                  > http://www.irishhuntersandjumpers.com/Ollie03.html
                                  >
                                  > I really do need to resolve this pretty soon, breeding season is upon us!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks in advance for any help.
                                  >

• 14. Re: Basic Question - adding a downloadable PDF
                                    halfpint23 Level 1
                                    Simply outstanding....

Thanks so much Tim and Murray! For whatever reason, when uploading the newly revamped page, that darn pdf file didn't go along for the ride. I did no snap to the SIMPLE (that's me) fact that it was not appearing on the Remote view side of my screen after page upload. Did a "just that file" upload and VOILA! all is perfect.

You folks are the greatest. I find it continually amazing that I am able to access the minds of people who know the answers, across the country and the planet.

Blessings,
                                    Kate