8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 4:55 PM by Tai Lao

    Sharpening in RAW CS5

    Sampson's Ghost

      I have recently upgraded to CS5. In Raw, Before sharpening I apply a mask of approx. 75%. As I move the sharpening slider over (while holding ALT to view the sharpenng), I can see the sharpening effect amplifying noise- even in the areas that are completely masked. I did not have the issue in the previous version. Am I missing a step?

       

      Thanks

       

      SG

        • 1. Re: Sharpening in RAW CS5
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

          Camera Raw 6 has a greater "bite" in it's sharpening since the built in noise reduction of the previous demosiacing has been removed. So, either don't apply sharpening as much or make sure you do apply some luminance noise reduction in addition to the sharpening you are using.

          • 2. Re: Sharpening in RAW CS5
            Hudechrome Level 2

            I could not replicate his results, with an ISO 400 image anyway. At 200% I did see sharpening exacerbating noise, but add the mask and it went away. No mask and about 25% Luminance NR added and the noise also went away, with no visible effects on detail. And I had the sharpening slider almost all the way to the right.

             

            ACR 6 is one helluva improvement. I find myself taking images from the past, safely (so I thought!) optimized and undo the sharpening from ACR4, redo in 6 and voila!

             

            But then I have  to re edit in PS!

             

            Groan!

             

            (Note to spell check: voila is not viola misspelled!)

            • 3. Re: Sharpening in RAW CS5
              Level 4

              Jeff Schewe wrote:

               

              Camera Raw 6 has a greater "bite" in it's sharpening since the built in noise reduction of the previous demosiacing has been removed…

               

              Just so I'm not misled, does "built-in noise reduction" mean that there is still some noise reduction being applied in ACR 5.7 in the demosaicing process even when both Luminance and Color sliders are set to zero (in the Detail tab of ACR 5.7)?

               

               

              Thanks in advance for the clarification, Mr. Schewe.

               

               

              Wo Tai Lao Le
              我太老了
              • 4. Re: Sharpening in RAW CS5
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

                Tai Lao wrote:

                 

                Just so I'm not misled, does "built-in noise reduction" mean that there is still some noise reduction being applied in ACR 5.7 in the demosaicing process even when both Luminance and Color sliders are set to zero (in the Detail tab of ACR 5.7)?

                 

                No, I'm pretty sure that while the rest of ACR 5.7 is the same process as 5.6 and earlier, the noise reduction has been removed from the demosiaicing of 5.7. To have 5.7 match 5.6 you'll need to add or increase the luminance noise reduction 15-20 units. That's about the effects that was removed.

                • 5. Re: Sharpening in RAW CS5
                  Bill_Janes Level 2

                  Jeff Schewe wrote:

                   

                  Tai Lao wrote:

                   

                  Just so I'm not misled, does "built-in noise reduction" mean that there is still some noise reduction being applied in ACR 5.7 in the demosaicing process even when both Luminance and Color sliders are set to zero (in the Detail tab of ACR 5.7)?

                   

                  No, I'm pretty sure that while the rest of ACR 5.7 is the same process as 5.6 and earlier, the noise reduction has been removed from the demosiaicing of 5.7. To have 5.7 match 5.6 you'll need to add or increase the luminance noise reduction 15-20 units. That's about the effects that was removed.

                  As Eric Chan explaines in the linked thread over on LuLa, the demosaicing process involves interpolation and there will necessarily be some degree of noise reduction with all commercially available raw converters, including ACR and Lightroom.

                   

                  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=33419&view=findpost&p=272145

                  • 6. Re: Sharpening in RAW CS5
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

                    But the built-in noise reduction which Thomas put in for ACR 4.1, he's now taken out in ACR 5.7 and 6.x.

                    • 7. Re: Sharpening in RAW CS5
                      Hudechrome Level 2

                      FWIW, I have a basic setting for images from the D90 as follows: Sharpening Amount 53, Luminance set at 11, all other sliders at their default positions once both Sharpening and Luminance set. Sharpening seems high from previous versions but works well and can be adjusted anyway. I always look.

                      • 8. Re: Sharpening in RAW CS5
                        Level 4

                        Jeff Schewe wrote:

                         

                        But the built-in noise reduction which Thomas put in for ACR 4.1, he's now taken out in ACR 5.7 and 6.x.

                         

                        Thank you for your two last posts, Mr. Schewe.  They answer my question fully and unambiguously.

                         

                         

                        Wo Tai Lao Le

                        我太老了