7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2010 5:32 PM by Tara Jane Feener RSS

Catalyst closes the second my project opens

Nancy Gill CommunityMVP

I worked on this project a few weeks ago.  Due to an installation conflict, I had to uninstall everything CS5 and in starting over, I installed the Master Collection (before I was using Catalyst from the Design Premium).  I am now trying to open a project I started 2-3 weeks ago and as soon as the project opens in Catalyst, it immediately closes the entire program.  When I reopen Catalyst, there is no sign of having opened  this project in the Recent Projects list .. in fact, the list is cleaned out. 

Any thoughts as to what is going on here?  The project uses artwork made in Photoshop and in the main stage, imports swfs.

Thanks,

Nancy

• 1. Re: Catalyst closes the second my project opens
          Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Could you look up your Catalyst runtime logs and attach them to a post? (Info on how to find your logs here).

If you cannot attach files to a post (sometimes the option is down), PM me for my email address and you can send them there.

Could you also describe how you originally created your project? What kind of content did it have, what kind of artwork did you import, etc.

-Bear

• 2. Re: Catalyst closes the second my project opens
            Nancy Gill CommunityMVP

Sure .. and thanks for your help. 

This is the log .. we'll see if this works.  I don't see the option to attach .. I think I remember a notice saying attachments were disabled a few days back.  Here is two sessions of trying to open that file.  Does this help?

!SESSION 2010-06-14 08:59:17.660 -----------------------------------------------

eclipse.buildId=unknown

java.version=1.6.0_16

java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.

BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US

Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -clean

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2010-06-14 08:59:19.864

!MESSAGE The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session; refreshing workspace to recover changes.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 567 2010-06-14 08:59:19.926

!MESSAGE Conversion of persistent properties failed.

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 4 372 2010-06-14 08:59:19.926

!MESSAGE Resource '/Project' is not open.

!ENTRY com.adobe.thermo.core 1 0 2010-06-14 08:59:25.301

!MESSAGE Loading ThermoPanels from bundleentry://51/ThermoPanelsSWF/ThermoPanels.swf

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk 2 0 2010-06-14 08:59:28.707

!MESSAGE Could not locate the running profile instance

!SESSION 2010-06-14 08:59:59.301 -----------------------------------------------

eclipse.buildId=unknown

java.version=1.6.0_16

java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.

BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US

Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -clean

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2010-06-14 09:00:01.582

!MESSAGE The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session; refreshing workspace to recover changes.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 567 2010-06-14 09:00:01.629

!MESSAGE Conversion of persistent properties failed.

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 4 372 2010-06-14 09:00:01.629

!MESSAGE Resource '/Project' is not open.

!ENTRY com.adobe.thermo.core 1 0 2010-06-14 09:00:06.848

!MESSAGE Loading ThermoPanels from bundleentry://51/ThermoPanelsSWF/ThermoPanels.swf

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk 2 0 2010-06-14 09:00:10.254

!MESSAGE Could not locate the running profile instance

Thanks!

Nancy

• 3. Re: Catalyst closes the second my project opens
              Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for looking up the log file. Something strange is definitely going on. Are you able to create / save / open a new project? If the problem is with this particular file, could you upload it to a site like google docs or adobe.com and PM me the link? If you are having trouble with the creation of projects in general, we'll need to take a more thorough look at your Catalyst install.

-Bear

• 4. Re: Catalyst closes the second my project opens
                Nancy Gill CommunityMVP

Hi Bear:

It's just this one, and I think the reason is because I have the main pages/states in Catalyst with a header, buttons and a main content area, but clicking on the buttons loads a swf into the main content area that is fairly complex (each swf that loads via the buttons has extensive AS 2.0 that displays a text area, loader for images and a navbar that keeps the content all together.  I think perhaps the whole thing is too much for Catalyst to manage, but I hope I'm wrong. 

I have felt from the minute I encountered Catalyst that it was the way to tie all these pieces together, including these swfs and Captivate quiz swfs as well without being klunky. 

I'll zip up the file that I'm having problems with and send it to you.  I have never done PMs on this forum (I hate webbased forums .. would LOVE to have NNTP back!) so I'll figure it out in a minute and send you my email address.  You can send me yours via email and I can zip up the project and send it to you. I wish I could publish the project and send you the link .. but it won't stay open in Catalyst long enough to publish it and I hadn't gotten to that stage yet.

Thanks,

Nancy

• 5. Re: Catalyst closes the second my project opens
                  Tara Jane Feener Community Member

Hey Nancy,

Anytime a swf is imported into Catalyst containing AS2 content there is potential to run into these problems.

We try to support swf files to the best of our ability, but all the standard problems of executing external code apply when loading a swf into catalyst.

It may contain/make programmatic assumptions about its runtime which can cause Catalyst to crash or behave incorrectly.

I'd love for you to send me the swf you're using in your project, to investigate what might be happening on our end.

Knowing what kind of swf content our users are importing will help us when designing/and improving around the swf import experience in the future.

My email address is tarfeene (at) adobe (dot) com.

Thanks for posting!

Tara

• 6. Re: Catalyst closes the second my project opens
                    Nancy Gill CommunityMVP

Hi, Tara!  Thanks for your response!

I had a feeling this might be the problem.  The original site was done in Flash using AS2 because (1) I'm not sure AS3 existed in 2006 and (2) each flash the loads in uses the AS2 menubar component to display a menubar with dropdown menus which items pair up the xml that will load into the textarea component and the jpg that will load into the loader.  I don't think this menubar component exists in AS3.

I am really not ready to give up on  this idea because I think Catalyst might be the ticket I have been looking for to bring everything all together in a better, more flowing manner.  I think I'll make a wireframe of the general workflow and try to code some functionality in AS3 and see if that solution works.

Which swf did you want me to send you?  The AS2 one the loads into the Catalyst one?  The Catalyst swf?  I didn't get that far .. was still working with the Catalyst file but now just trying to open it makes Catalyst close immediately.  There is no way to now publish the file to a swf because I can't get the program to stick around that long with the file open.  

If you know of a way, do share.   lol

Thanks!

Nancy

• 7. Re: Catalyst closes the second my project opens
                      Tara Jane Feener Community Member

Hey Nancy!

No problem.

If you could send the AS2 swf file which is causing the grief (your suspision about the menubar component is probably right), I'd really appreciate it.

I'm really glad to see you're not giving up, and continue to give us feedback on how the workflow works for you.

It sounds like you're an avid flash user and it's really nice to hear your perspective.

Thanks,

Tara