4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 1:47 PM by NLP Photoshop

Adobe - I beg you....Please understand the Highend Users

NLP Photoshop

Photoshop
      improvements

Layers that could be transformed into Nodes
      More and Better Blending Maths
      Fast Start up modularity, (a image viewer with simple controls, crop, transform, Rotate) could load up first as the rest of the program booted into memory) )
      Individual feathering for every Pen point Vertex ( look at what Shake and Nuke can do with their roto splines) 
      select more than one Pen tool vertex at a time,

Example Being able to Lasso a hand full of Points and and being able to rotate the orientation of them in a group, including  averaging the XY values to make a straight line from them_
      Better Spline Control ( able to select and move the spline in between pen point vertexes)
      Perspective Grid in the active 3d view port
      A actual usable 3d engine that supports multi core rending

(A 3D rendering engine that is actually useful would be nice as well - what you have is to bloated)
      (additionally Could support up to at least a million pollys to resemble standard 3d package functionality )
      Normal Map and Depth map Generator, (or modularity for Normal and Depth maps)

Depthmap generated Fog and Shallow Depth of Field, we know your competitors already do this in Their Composting tools for Cinema and Broadcast Graphics

Modularity for HDR relighting
      2.5D Normal Map relighting support
      Projection Mapping on Geometry ( and in real time its possible Nuke And After Effects both do it..After Effects not so much in the sense of usefulness)
      Gradient option for a the background instead of the standard checkerboard (useful to know what orientation  the z plane is)
      B spline Pen tool modes
      Light Wrapping Generator
      A actual Green/blue Screen Keyer ( primatte would be useful)
      Liquify tool would be a node which could be executed in real time in the open document, and not a plug in-esk feature

and above all else:

Symetry Mode, (the ability to identify a faces orientation in 3d space with a tool/gizmo and apply changes on both sides of it at the same time to keep Symmetry.

--

From one artist to another, I hope we can work together to change the world through good design and imaginative imagery.

• 1. Re: Adobe - I beg you....Please understand the Highend Users
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Thats potentially one the best list of Feature Requests anyone has posted here in a long time. Well done HellBent88.

B spline Pen tool modes  yes

More and Better Blending Maths  - yes

• Liquify tool would be a node which could be executed in real time in the open document, and not a plug in-esque feature - yes

A lot of the 3D stuff you have requested would require a rewriting of the entire of Photoshops 3D capabilities - but I'm all for that

–––––

Only a few that seem to be there already

"Select more than one Pen tool vertex at a time" - you can do this already

"Being able to Lasso a hand full of Points and and being able to rotate the orientation of them in a group, including  averaging the XY values to make a straight line from them" - you can  transform and rotate multiple path points already around any axis. What you can't do admittedly, without guides and snap -  is align those individual points quickly like in a vector app.

A actual Green/blue Screen Keyer ( primatte would be useful)  - its possible to generate very effective Actions (using calculations with levels dialogs) that will do this.

• 2. Re: Adobe - I beg you....Please understand the Highend Users
            NLP Photoshop Level 1

Kind of, you can move a few vertexts around at a time but

lets say you want the group you selected to now face a 45 degree angle from where based on how they where orientated

or take them and/or average their values orientation to matching values in X or Y

I dread illustrators pentool as well because most roto solutions have mastered this much better.

Photoshop keying, i'm sorry say isnt very effective at all

yes you can color select, but lets take a plug in like my favorite Primatte (which uses a 3d algorithm  to get fine detail like hair separated from the keyable background) you can teach it what parts are the plate are translucent whisps of hair and which is just digital noise off the background

it doesnt provide a option either to calculate the amount of green screen spill and replace it with a complement or hue shift it.

AEs Roto brush might be a technology that could help out even though this is a still image and not a sequence where you can look at how a image is moving

Normal map Relighing example I made a while back with after effects and Normality

it would be great to have this functionality in photoshop to add in or match a light envorment

http://vimeo.com/10886123

• 3. Re: Adobe - I beg you....Please understand the Highend Users
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Yes Primatte is a very sophisticated masking tool. So far I have been pretty dissapointed with CS5's new Refine Mask. Maybe I just haven't experimented enough yet with this. Every practical example I have thrown at it has come up badly so far. 

I agree that some really great new masking technology, that clearly exists in other places, could do with further research. In the end all of these tools use color analysis of one sort or another. A lot of which already exist in Photoshop if you know where to look.

The "3D algorythm" you refer to, is just some internal "3D" model that Primatte uses to determine differences. I'm not convinced it really can be as clever as all that, since all it has to work with are color distinctions based on the available color models - just like any masking tool.

• 4. Re: Adobe - I beg you....Please understand the Highend Users
                NLP Photoshop Level 1

you have me there i'm not as familar with the code implementation  of it

it does recognize core mattes vs the outside matte very well, I'm impressed you are as familiar with it as you are.