3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 4:22 PM by Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Duplicate states to multiple objects?

CrazyMerlin Level 1

Hey peeps!

I have a series of button to which I wish to apply the same transitional states ( up/over/down/disabled ).

However, I do not see a way to do this other than actually doing so for each button. Am I missing something?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Duplicate states to multiple objects?
          Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

If all your buttons will look basically the same (except for different text), you can just reuse the same button skin.  The skin defines the visual appearance in the button's states (up/over/down/disabled) as well as the transitions between them -- basically everything you see when you've double-clicked a button to edit it.

To re-use a button skin in multiple places, just locate your button design in the Library panel and then drag out additional copies of it.  You can give each button a unique text label (assuming you've set up a label part in the skin) just by selecting each button and editing the label in the Properties panel.

If your buttons will differ somewhat in visual style, but you still want similar transitions... your best bet is to design one button skin and then clone it as a starting point for the other, similar button design.  Just select the original design in the Library panel, right click, and choose Duplicate.  Then drag out a copy and double-click it to begin editing.

Hope that helps!

- Peter

• 2. Re: Duplicate states to multiple objects?
            CrazyMerlin Level 1

Thanks Peter, that does help.

I had already started down this path myself, after reverting my original skin to be more generic, i.e. no labels.

I love how FC makes the design stage of an app so much quicker.

• 3. Re: Duplicate states to multiple objects?
              Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

That's great -- glad to hear you're finding it useful!

- Peter