4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 2:56 PM by SFL46

Why use sequences?

volondo Level 1

Hi, I am just wondering why you work on different sequences then link them together in the timeline? is this just for long videos over 10 minutes? Why cant you just edit the whole film in one sequence? Just wondering as I want to make sure I utilize Premiere without wasting too much time.

Thanks,

Ed

• 1. Re: Why use sequences?
          Level 4

Hi,

Let's say you have 8 one hour mini DV tapes from a video camera that shot 14 days of some event.  You want to make a DVD ....so you might want about 1-2 hours of a final product....  on the DVD.

So, you have to edit all the footage down from 8 hours to 1.5 hours lets say....using the best of the footage and telling some kind of " story "....

I could make a sequence for every tape ( 8 of them )...plus a sequence for a rough cut or final cut ....

Then I could use each sequence " timeline" to drag down from the source monitor all the useful footage.    ( in pro world these would be called " prints" by the director )

Once you have all the good stuff from the 8 different tapes on the timeline you can begin to copy/paste or whatever to the rough / final cut sequence.

It keep everything organized...   like having a " workflow " that lends itself to getting that final product.....

Rod

• 2. Re: Why use sequences?
            Kona Bob Level 2

Multiple sequences have as many uses as there are users.

Many projects are indeed completed using only one sequence.

However, since it is easy and fast to cut & paste media from one sequence to another:

1) you can easily create different versions of your production using different sequences

2) You can use a sequence to dump raw footage onto for preview, pre editing, clip selection & copy to main sequence

3) long form projects (more than 1 hr) can become unwieldy on a single timeline- these can be edited as shorter duration "reels" on seperate sequences and assembled into a final movie at the end of editing.

The list is endless...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why use sequences?
              thenoisystuff Level 1

Think of sequences not only as chunks of decisions but as versions - in this way you have in-project fail-safes and backups that will allow you to hone your project to a successful completion.

My ratio of editing to time spent thinking and organising is 1:10

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why use sequences?
                SFL46 Level 3

Another example

I often use some SD stuff in a PIP even though the main sequence is HDV.  This doesn't work too bad as 720 x 480 makes a reasonable PIP on a 1920 x 1081 timeline.

I do the SD editing in a separate sequence: triming multiple clips, color corrections, some resizing, etc., and then rendering that SD sequence as a non compressed AVI at 1920 x 1080.  I then import that AVI onto the main timeline and then apply crop, positioning, border, shadow, once to the rendered AVI clip.  The big advantage of this is that the SD image shows full screen in preview in the SD sequence to ease editing, rather than reduced as it would appear in a HDV timeline preview.  Another advantage is that once I've seen it on the HDV preview, If there is something I don't like, I still have the SD sequence to tweak and re-render.

(actually, I developed this approach as a work around because in CS4, I found that the crop filter didn't play nice with the BorisFX Uprez filter if they were applied to the same clip  So I uprez in the SD sequence and apply crop to the rendered AVI.).  No I use it even when I'm not using uprez.