5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 7:53 PM by chrcha26

Help with a gallery. scrollPane maybe?

chrcha26

To see what I'm working with go here --> http://cgd1000.com/my_portfolio/pages/fllash_test.html > click enter> portfolio

What I want to happen.

When somebody goes to the portfolio page i would like them to see a scrolling(vertical up/down) window in the yellow background containing rows of thumbs (btns). When a thumb is clicked on i want the image/video to open to the size of the yellow background. The user will be able to click on a close button that is over the image/video and return to the portfolio page/frame.

What I'm thinking

is making an swf (to make changes in the future whitout altering the main swf) containing rows of thumbs. Then placing a scrollPane in the center of the yellow background with the source portfolio.swf.

Where I get lost with this idea

is when someone clicks on one of the thumbs how can I make the image be the same size as the yellow background, outside of/over the scrollPane? Can I make the thumbs in the swf, in the scrollPane, when clicked, goto a frame in the main timline that contains the image/video?

Help figuring this out would be great. I would also be open to alternitive suggestions as well. I'm new so please be as descriptive as possible.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Help with a gallery. scrollPane maybe?
          chrcha26 Level 1

OK update on the question.

I think what I need to do is create a movieclip and use it's linkage id/path. So, can I create my mc in a seperate fla> import the external library> and then set the source of the scrollpane to that mc? One more thing, how do I find the linkage id.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Help with a gallery. scrollPane maybe?
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you right click the symbol in the library, there should be an option for Linkage.  The Linkage assignment should also be available in the extended Properties menu (which is available when you first create the symbol or also via a right click in the library).

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help with a gallery. scrollPane maybe?
              chrcha26 Level 1

You may have been typing that at the same time I was finding  the answer, or part of it anyway. I think, but don't know, the fact that I'm using as3 may be a problem with that route, I don't know. I right click on the symbol in the library> properties> advanced> indentifier is faded, so I checked export for actionscript (identifier stays faded), so I tried it anyway then test movie and all hell breaks loose.

Where I am now: create movieclip (for example - myMovie_mc) containing buttons(that will move to a frame in the main timeline)> remove mc from stage> drag scrollPane from the components tab to the stage>

now I need the scrollPane source to be myMovie_mc

I'm so lost right now hopefully something will come up soon

• 4. Re: Help with a gallery. scrollPane maybe?
                Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're using AS3, then you do not want to assign the "Identifier"... you want to assign the "Class" (AS2 uses the Identifier).

So you can just assign the source as that class...

scrPane.source = MCClassName;

• 5. Re: Help with a gallery. scrollPane maybe?
                  chrcha26 Level 1

Thanks a lot. I got it now and I appear

to have a long road ahead of me with this gallery. It'll

be worth it though, I hope. Thank again.