• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Status not tracking slides without click boxes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a two lesson course. I have self-paced learning and show status flat selected for the TOC.

My slides without click boxes (Scenario, Introduction, etc...) that the playbar is used to advance forward, will not show a status flag as having been completed.

Is there any way to make those show a status? I really don't want to turn the status or self-paced learning off.

Please if you have any suggestions, let me know, I am on a tight project timeline.

Judy

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Sorry, you cannot post attachments any more. We were typing at the same time, can you have a look at my previous answer?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

A slide will be marked as completed only when the totality of the Timeline has been played. Knowing this I'm really puzzled by your question because you say that slides that do not have a click box do not get the completed flag? I would expect the reverse: a click box pauses the slide at a certain point in the Timeline, if one clicks on it and this click triggers a jump to another slide, the Timeline will not be viewed entirely and the status flag will not be there. In that case to avoid the issue you'd have to trigger the action 'Continue' to be sure to play the entire slide. What do you really mean by 'slides that are advanced by the playbar'? If the user clicks on the 'Next slide' button of the playbar before the slide has finished, there will be no status flag. Perhaps this is what happens?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I did read some of the other posts, and this is how I have designed the slides.

Each slide is set at 3 seconds, and if I have a slide that has not action (say an introduction where it is strictly text) then I put a click box in a corner that says pause, so that they can take a long as they need to read the slide instead of me guessing how long to set the timeline for. This way they use the playbar to advance forward.

So my understanding is, there isn't any other way with advanced actions to set it as completed without expanding the timeline so it runs on a timeline bases.

Judy

Judy Long

Instructional Designer

Con-way Enterprise Services

Never Settle for Less.

2055 NW Savier

Portland, OR 97209

(503) 450-2724 Phone

(503) 450-5790 Fax

(503) 475-7901 Cell

long.judy@con-way.com

www.con-way.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Must not have explained well. Yes, you can use a click box, but be sure that when the click box is clicked the action is 'Continue', and not 'Jump to next slide'. If the pause of the click box is as late as possible on the Timeline, this change will not be 'seen' by the user because there is only a very small time left on the timeline. But then you'll be sure that this slide will be seen totally, that the timeline will be played entirely, which is necessary to have the status flag displayed for this slide.

Hope this makes sense;

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear either.

They don't click the click box, it is simply used to pause the slide, so I don't have to guess how long it will take the user to read the information. I do have it pause for as long as possible, but because they don't click on it, and move forward using the playbar the status flag will not read the slide as having been completed.

Judy

Judy Long

Instructional Designer

Never Settle for Less.

2055 NW Savier

Portland, OR 97209

(503) 450-2724 Phone

(503) 450-5790 Fax

(503) 475-7901 Cell

long.judy@con-way.com

www.con-way.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, understand now. And think you understand why you'll never get a status flag 'Complete' for this slide if you keep this workflow.

The easiest way is to have the user click on a button on the slide itself to proceed to the next slide, and set the Success action to 'Continue'. And hide the playbar for this introduction slide, so that they cannot advance with a button on the playbar. The easiest way to do that is to assign the value 0 to the system variable cpCmndShowPlaybar while entering this slide (Properties, Navigation, On slide enter). You assign the value 1 to the same system variable on exiting the slide or on entering the next slide.

Hope that this is a possible solution for your project?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you cannot post attachments any more. We were typing at the same time, can you have a look at my previous answer?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I was wondering how I could use that variable.

This will help greatly, thank you.

Judy Long

Instructional Designer

Never Settle for Less.

2055 NW Savier

Portland, OR 97209

(503) 450-2724 Phone

(503) 450-5790 Fax

(503) 475-7901 Cell

long.judy@con-way.com

www.con-way.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand. I'd also like the forward button in the skin to set the progress status to complete, not create an entirely new navigational element in the content area to achieve this. Is this not possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Perhaps this InfoSemantics widget can help you, sorry, it is not free:

TickTOC Widget

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri--will try TickTOC to see if it solves our dilemma. I wish Adobe would address longstanding issues like this and others you've helped us with instead of low-hanging fruit like drop shadows and object rotation. I can use other Adobe apps to create drop shadows and rotate objects--but not all of us have the ability to code our way, or buy our way out of these corners that Captivate sometimes paints us into. My experience with this product has been very good overall, but I'm frustrated by these obvious issues that have evidently existed for years. Seems like there are prioritization issues on the Captivate team.

Follow-up: TickTOC seems to do the trick, thanks again Lilybiri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I understand your frustration, but this is somehow logical. The tick in the TOC appears when the last frame of a slide has been visited, suspect it is something like an Exit action, which is also only executed if the last frame is visited. The only way to push your priorities to the top of the Adobe team priority list is entering as many feature requests/bug reports as possible, believe me. And you will not be astonished that I'm always introducing a lot of requests to improve the work flow and functionalities of advanced actions

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I hate to openly criticize, because I'm sure there are plenty of valid reasons certain issues persist--I just hate painting myself into a corner with promises I make to the customer based on my obviously flawed understanding of how this product works. Thanks again for your very timely help--might have saved me a lot of embarrassment with the customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sending you the first few slides as a sample.

On slides 5-7 you will see a click box in the top right corners.

It seems that if they move passed that slide, whether by click box of playbar it should register the status flag.

Judy

Judy Long

Instructional Designer

Never Settle for Less.

2055 NW Savier

Portland, OR 97209

(503) 450-2724 Phone

(503) 450-5790 Fax

(503) 475-7901 Cell

long.judy@con-way.com

www.con-way.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources