4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 7:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Newbie Question - pink "mask" over preview pane???

Shotan

This could well be a very dumb question but I''m a complete novice with Premiere Elements!!!

I intalled on my first PC and all was fine except that the processor was too slow, giving very jittery previews etc. I deactivated, uninstalled and set up PE again on my second much faster machine (dual core 3.4GHz). The install was fine BUT I am seeing a pale red semi opaque "mask" on the preview screen. Is this some setting that I have mistakenly switched on, the sign of an improperly activated install, a failure to delete the serial number from my first install, or some known glitch? Rendering produces a perfect movie but trying to edit with this thing obscuring the screen is hard!!! I've tried every setting I can find but still no go. I've downloaded the patch for 8.01, checked all Windows updates are ok  but still the same.

Any advice would be really welcome guys. Thanks in hope, Paul (UK)

• 1. Re: Newbie Question - pink "mask" over preview pane???
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

We'll need to know more before we can help, Shotan.

Like what kind of camcorder your video came from and how you got it into your computer.

It also might help to know which operating system you're using.

Meantime, go to the nVidia or ATI site and download the latest firmware for your video card. This often resolves this issue. Although it can also be affected by certain video formats.

• 2. Re: Newbie Question - pink "mask" over preview pane???
            Shotan Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for replying, I hope I can be a bit more helpful with info this time! I'm a designer so technical matters are not a strength I'm afraid!

here is some information and 2 screenshots of the problem I am seeing.

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with all security patches and up-dates

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
            OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

The latest Quick Time (today)
            The latest Java (today)

Premiere Elements (new this week) with patch 8.01 installed

System Name USER-064DDF3BF6
            System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
            System Model HP Compaq dc5700 Microtower
            System Type X86-based PC
            Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel ~3389 Mhz
            BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 786E2 v02.04, 13/04/2007
            SMBIOS Version 2.4
            Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
            System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
            Boot Device \Device\Harddisk Volume1 160Gb
            Locale United Kingdom
            Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
            Total Physical Memory 2,049.00 MB
            Available Physical Memory 1.59 GB
            Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
            Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
            Page File Space 2.58 GB
            Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I am using a variety of video, audio and stills from many sources :

Finalised mini DVD disks from a Sony DVD 105E Handycam

AVI clips from a PC hard drive library
            MTS HD footage converted to .avi

jpegs, pngs, mp3 sounds etc.

Whatever I use the result is the same "mask" appearing.

I am beginning to think could this be the result of uninstalling from my slower PC, and reinstalling on another machine without correct activation etc? The procedure went as usual with serial number input, an online activation requiring copy and paste of id's and codes.

I've been longing to get intio video editing for ages, I've picked up a great project from a large retail outlet for training materials but niow I'm stumped from the outset. I can edit with this "mask" thing in place but it would be so much easier and more reassuring if I could remove it!!!

Please forgive my technical ignorance but any help is REALLY appreciated. Perhaps somebody will recognise this odd feature?

cheers, Paul (UK)

• 3. Re: Newbie Question - pink "mask" over preview pane???
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm concerned that you're using video from several different source formats. That could be complicating things.

Also, have you ensured that any photos you're using are size to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per the FAQs to the right of this forum? Oversize photos can cause what you're seeing.

So can non-standard codecs that may be in use in your videos from a "PC hard drive library" or the conversion from MTS -- unless you can ensure that they all use the standard DV codec.

Are you seeing this discoloration on every clip in your project or only on specific clips?

Which project preset are you using for your Premiere Elements project?

• 4. Re: Newbie Question - pink "mask" over preview pane???
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Please take a look at this THREAD, and also each of the links included. Each goes to another similar thread, so there is a lot of reading, but also some very, very useful info, especially the comments on the video driver.

Good luck,

Hunt