1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 7, 2006 2:07 PM by Newsgroup_User

Two functional key

..::RDG::..
      Hi, I want that when the user presses a key, "i" for example, a symbol appears in the screen and when user presses it again it diasppears. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Two functional key
          Level 7
          ..::RDG::..,

> Hi, I want that when the user presses a key, "i" for
          > example, a symbol appears in the screen and when
          > user presses it again it diasppears. Can anyone tell
          > me how to do this?

Sure thing. You've got two goals, here: 1) to make a symbol appear and
          disappear, and 2) to accomplish this via key press. Let's tackle them each,
          in turn.

If your symbol is a movie clip, you're in luck. All movie clip symbols
          are objects, and all objects in ActionScript are defined by classes.
          There's a "MovieClip class" entry of the ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference
          that tells you everything you need to know about movie clips. Things they
          can do are called methods; things they can react to are called events; and
          characteristics they have are called properties. (This is true, by the way,
          for input/dynamic textfields [the TextField class], sounds [the Sound
          class], button symbols [the Button class], and, heck, just about anything
          you can think of in Flash. Very handy, that the documentation is arranged
          that way.)

So you'll notice the MovieClip._visible property. This determines
          whether a given MovieClip instance is visible or not. Make sure to give
          your movie clip an instance name (select it and see the Property inspector).
          Once your movie clip has an instance name, simply use that name in place of
          the class name, and you're good.

// script goes in frame 1
          myMovieClip._visible = false;

Right at the beginning, then, your movie clip will be invisible.

Next, you'll want to listen for a key press. For this, you need to
          research -- you guessed it -- the Key class. You'll find a Key.onKeyUp
          event (remember, events are things an object can react to, such as a key
          being pressed, then release). Look up that event in the Key class and
          you'll see sample code right there. In your case, you'll have the event
          listener set the _visible property of your movie clip to true.

Actually, since the _visible property is Boolean (true/false), you can
          set it to whatever it is *not*, and that will flip visibility back and
          forth.

myMovieClip._visible = !myMovieClip._visible;

... where the logical NOT operaator (!) returns the negation of the Boolean
          value.

David
          stiller (at) quip (dot) net
          Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."