25 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2010 7:42 AM by the_wine_snob

PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.

gib01

I've been having some trouble lately with my Sony DRU-840a dvd burner. When I boot up and go to my computer, windows says its there but when I go into PE 7 and want to burn a dvd, PE 7 cant find it. I go back to my computer and now it reads it as a cd drive. I go to device manger and it says its a Sony DRU-840a and the driver is the latest one. When I test it with the nero software Sony supplied it tests fine. I'm not sure where my problem is. I wonder if anyone else has had this type of problem?  I'm using a dell 4700 Pentium(R) 4 with 3 gigs of ram and Windows XP service pack 3. It may have nothing to do  with PE 7.Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Often the presence of other DVD burning software (Nero is notorious for this) can prevent Premiere Elements from seeing your DVD drive.

Some people struggle with this, even removing Nero, to try to get it working. Often the easier solution (and one which has a number of advantages, as I point out in my books) is to simply burn your project to a folder on your hard drive and then  use Nero (or whatever) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a disc.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
            gib01 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Steve. I think you're right about being a software conflict. I'd like to get rid of Nero altogether but don't know if "my computer" would see the DRU-840a as a burner or cd drive. I know the device manger doesn't have that problem. Thanks for the advice about burning it to a folder. I forgot to add, I downloaded a Roxio video decoder for windows media player (so I could watch the dvds) just before I started having problems. I guess I could remove this but I'd like to use it to view my dvds.

Gib

• 3. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD
              Read all links/sub-links to create a "best" burned disc
              Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0

Especially read...

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus a Microsoft note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
              And another note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                gib01 Level 1

I guess I should do a little more reading of the previous posts before asking a question. Thanks for the replies. I am now writing to the hard drive. Will try the ImgBurn. I have uninstalled both Roxio and Nero programs and was wondering what software might be good to watch my DVD's on after I burn them? (Haven't found a good decoder for windows media yet)

• 5. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                  nealeh Level 5

I've always preferred Cyberlinks PowerDVD product over anything else I've tried. For a free solution the VideoLAN - VLC media player is adequate.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                    gib01 Level 1

Thanks, I'll check it out. You know whats funny. If I play my (pre files) videos from PE7 before they're burnt, Windows Media Player plays them just fine.It just won't read them after they're burnt to a DVD or burnt to my hard drive.

Gib

• 7. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at this ARTICLE, as it covers many of the issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                        gib01 Level 1

Went to the ImgBurn site and got a DVD burner download called InfraRecorder. The speed was set at max and the write method was set to Session-At-Once (SAO). It burnt the cd but none of the dvd players in my house could read it except for the burner that wrote it. Should I slow it down and what write method would you suggest? Thanks

Gib

• 9. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you go to the Imgburn site you DO have to look a bit (he makes his developement $$ from donations and, I think, by selling advertising space) but you ONLY WANT TO DOWNLOAD IMGBURN

When you use it... you use the slowest burn speed possible, and you should use Tayio Yuden (not sure of spelling) or Verbatim blanks

• 10. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                            nealeh Level 5

Here is a direct link to the downloads page:

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Here is a direct link to the current version (as at 18-Jun-2010):

http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.1.0.exe

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like one of the many ads on the ImgBurn page got you. The download for ImgBurn is about 2/3 of the way down that page - that's the price of "free." Neale has furnished a link to the download page itself.

For playability issues, this ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                gib01 Level 1

Finaly found ImgBurn and downloaded it. Did a test burn with the same file that didn't work with the other software, the only difference this time was I set it for 4x instead of max. Worked fine this time. Thanks for the help everyone.

Gib

• 13. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that it worked the second time, but wonder why it did not initially.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                    gib01 Level 1

I really don't know Hunt, The first program might have worked if I had slowed the speed down. I'm still learning and I appreciate all the help.

Gib

• 15. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Gib,

Though I think that these have been covered in the various articles, linked above, but two aspects that can affect the burn, and especially playability, is the brand of media and the speed at which the burn is done. PrE does a survey of the media's speed, and the speed of the burner, and then chooses the fastest. That is one of the things that I like about ImgBurn (or Adobe Encore, my authoring program), is that I can alter the burn speed and go slower. In the choices provided, I am usually down at about 1/3 of the way up from the slowest. I also only use Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden blank media, and have never had one return, or failed burn, using all sorts of burners from SATA internals, to USB 2.0 externals. Though one can buy much cheaper media, if one has to redo burns, the cost savings are soon eaten up. Also, for the moments that one saves by burning at the max. speed, vs something like 2 - 4x, is totally offset, if one has to redo the burn just once. So, instead of trying to save those moments, I opt for a better burn, and with almost 2000 delivered DVD's, have never had one return.

Also remember, no set-top DVD player is certified to play ANY burned DVD - only commercially replicated (pressed) DVD's. Most will, and will do well with a high-quality media and a slower than max. burn, but some just will not, regardless of what media, or burn speed is used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                        gib01 Level 1

I have a question. When I go to burn my file to the hard drive, PE7 gives me two different file sizes to choose from. If I choose the smaller of the two, what if anything is PE leaving out?

Gib

• 17. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Gib,

I do not have PrE 7, so you have me on this one. Can you post a screen-cap of the settings choices, as there should be some clue there, as to what the differences are? Could it be that you have a rather long Duration Project, and one choice forces it to a DVD-5 size, and the other is if you are burning a DVD-9? Just guessing there.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                            gib01 Level 1

I misread PE7s question to me Hunt. I went back to read the prompt again and it was asking me if I wanted to put it in a 4.7g folder or a 8.5g folder not change the size of my file.

Gib

• 19. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Gib,

That makes sense. Obviously, your Timeline is rather long, hence the choice. Thanks for the clarification.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                                nealeh Level 5

Digital Video (DV-AVI) runs at around 12GB per hour. DVD Quality is obtained by compressing this data to fit the media according to MPEG standards. Blank DVD's are either 4.7GB (single layer) 8.5GB (dual layer). A single layer disk holds around two hours of video and a dual layer disk four hours.

If, when you save to a folder, you untick the quality check box and move the slider to Highest Quality you can see if your footage will fit using the the highest bitrate. If it doesn't then you must lower the slider (or check the quality check box for PRE to do it automatically).

Essentially you are:

1. setting your target media (single or dual layer).
                                                2. adjusting quality to make the best fit to that media.

Personally I always burn to 8.5GB folder (this lets PRE produce it's best quality). If I then want to write the project to a single layer DVD I use 'DVD Shrink'  (freeware) to do so.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If I am much over 120 mins., I always go with a DVD-9, to get the max. quality available.

I've looked into DVDShrink, but have been less than impressed with the results. I have done better with bit-budgeting, but there is nothing like having the DVD real estate to go for the highest quality.

Hunt

• 22. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                                    nealeh Level 5

I've always found DVD Shrink output quite impressive.Did you try the different quality options?

shrink.png

Cheers,
                                                    --
                                                    Neale

• 23. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

For the two Projects, that I had, I talked the client into just doing a larger set of DVD-5's in one case, and DVD-9's in the other. Many users rely on DVDShrink, and love it. Even without high-motion footage, I was less than impressed with those two Projects.

Thanks for following up.

Hunt

• 24. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                                        gib01 Level 1

Thanks guys for the clairification and the compression info.

Gib

• 25. Re: PE 7 can't find my dvd burner.
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Gib,

Do not let my experiences with DVDShrink scare you off, if you have a Project right on the edge of size vs media. Many are like Neale, and love that program. I just had some issues, and they could well have been limited to the choices that I made. Give it a try, and see if it works well for you.

It is similar to the MPEG-2 encoder that one uses. I have had great luck with usually allowing my authoring program, Adobe Encore, to do that on Automatic, while other users hate any Adobe MPEG-2 encoding, and have gone to other programs, like Pro-Coder for all their MPEG-2 output. I have yet to see the need, but am not saying that THEY are wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt