5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 7:11 AM by oldMster

Open a Cash Drawer in AIR

Mayurdhwaj

Hi,

I am working on a POS system in Adobe AIR 2.0. There are two things I would like to do...

1. To open a Cash Drawer from the AIR application.

2. To bypass the Print Dialog which pops up when the PrintJob.Start() method executes.

Can anyone please guide me on these topics?

Thanks,

Mayurdhwaj

• 1. Re: Open a Cash Drawer in AIR
          oldMster Level 3

Mayurdhwaj,

Please vote form my idea 'send text to printer' on ideas.adobe.com.  You can add a comment for the 'bypass print dialog', which is a good addition.

Mark

• 2. Re: Open a Cash Drawer in AIR
            thilgen Level 4

>> 2. To bypass the Print Dialog which pops up when the PrintJob.Start() method executes.

This functionality was added in AIR 2.

Please check out

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WS059b243ca571213c1e18d17a124d9fca6d8-8000.html

for additional information.

Thanks,

Chris Thilgen
            AIR Engineering

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Open a Cash Drawer in AIR
              oldMster Level 3

Drat, I knew that too.  Thanks Chris.  Print without dialog is done.

We still need to be able to send plain text to a printer to accomplish the cash drawer and POS printer stuff.

In the meantime you can use either NativeProcess or sockets to create a small program that runs on the machine to control the cash drawer/printer - AIR can talk to it through a socket, and it can pass the commands/text on to the device.

Mark

• 4. Re: Open a Cash Drawer in AIR
                Mayurdhwaj Level 1

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the replay.

I need a cross-platform POS.

If I use native process/socket, I need to develop another program which interacts with the Cash Drawer/Printer & this program will not be in Adobe AIR

(i.e. could be a .net / java program) which will add some licensing cost to me .

Any alternative suggestion for this?

Also if you know some free tool/program that I can use to feed the data to socket please let me know.

Thanks,

Mayurdhwaj.

• 5. Re: Open a Cash Drawer in AIR
                  oldMster Level 3

Java should be royalty free, if you use it.  Python would also be a good choice, and provides the tools needed to get it done.

For opening the cash drawer, you could just have the cash drawer commands in a file, and call a nativeprocess from AIR  (.bat file on Windows, shell script in linux, not sure on Mac - I don't do apple) that copies that file to the cash drawer device.

Mark