13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2010 6:19 PM by Colin Brougham

How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5

tonysaxena

Hi,

I have been using Premiere pro 2.0 to edit video clips and for exporting I used to use Microsoft DV AVI, which would give me a nice and clear video output. I have recently changed to Premiere Pro CS5. Even though I am using the same project that I used in Premiere Pro 2.0, I am not able to find the "Microsoft DV AVI" option in the export settings dialogue box (file > export > media). Kindly someone suggest me how do I export video as microsoft DV AVI or as a different format similar to this in Premiere Pro CS5. Thank you.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 1. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You choose the right Format.

Just go to Preset and select.

dv avi.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
            tonysaxena Level 1

Thank you Ann. I use PAL DV as I am from India. but even that wasnt giving me a desired output, until I tried out the combination where I am using Microsoft AVI as format, Preset as Custom (strangely your preset menu shows cineform where my preset menu shows custom) and selecting DV PAL as video codec. Premiere Pro 2.0 had an additional export option called export movie. which would be by default set to export movie as microsoft dv avi and  it did a brilliant job in exporting a neat and clear avi video. I guess in PP CS5 they have just merged that utility with PP media encoder.

Regards,

Tuhin

• 3. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5

CS5 is slightly different to Pro 2

Using Microsoft avi with dv pal (widescreen) is the same as Export Movie in Pro 2

The Cineform thing is my own preset.

• 4. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
                tonysaxena Level 1

I think I have still not got the kind of quality I was expecting.

vlcsnap-2010-06-17-22h19m17s47.png

vlcsnap-2010-06-17-22h17m45s108.png

The top image is a screen grab from an export from PP 2.0 using export movie as microsoft DV AVI. and the bottom image is screen grab from export from PP CS5 using microsoft avi as format and PAL DV as preset. If you take a closer look, the bottom image shows interlacing. I am happy with the over all clarity but I don't want interlacing.

I believe I have to change the field type setting to progressive to get rid of interlacing but I cant seem to change the field type setting as you can see in the image below.

settings.jpg

Is there some other way to get rid of Interlacing? I even checked the sequence setting but there also the field type is not editable.

• 5. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
                  tonysaxena Level 1

I think I have figured it out this time. In PP CS5 frame blend option (clip > video option > frame blend) is turned on by default. I selected all the clips in my sequence and turned off frame blend. The final video with frame blend off is non-interlaced. Now its exactly what I wanted.

Thank you Ann for helping me out.

• 6. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5

Glad everything worked out ok.

• 7. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
                      txbonfire Level 1

I just installed APP CS5 (with CS5 Production Premium) and when I did an Export / Media

and selected any of the pre-sets, the frame blending option was unselected automatically on my system.  Just FYI.....

- Angela

• 8. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
                        RxS2011

Hi, I am trying the same thing however I do not have the Microsoft avi option under Format:.  Only under the QuickTime format can I select the NTSC Widescreen Preset.  I am running CS5 on a iMac if that makes a difference.  Thank you

• 9. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
                          smalinger Level 1

I do not think this question is fully answered.  The issue is how to export a progressive Microsoft AVI using the DV NTSC codec.  The earlier versions of  Premiere allowed this. It does not seem possible in CS5.  Even when the  settings are set to match the sequence, the encoder still sets it to  lower field first.  Is this a bug?  I could set it to progressive using  the Microsoft Video 1 codec.  (For quality sake I also brought the  quality to 100 and clicked the Codec Settings button and set the  Temporal Quality Ratio to 1 instead of .75.)  Any answers?

Aloha,

smaligner

• 10. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I do not have the Microsoft avi option under Format:.  Only under the QuickTime format can I select the NTSC Widescreen Preset.

Welcome to the forum.

Are you on the PC, or the Mac?

The MS DV-AVI CODEC should be installed with the OS, if on Windows. Back a bit, some flavors of Vista did not include the normal MS CODEC's, and one had to download and install the MS Vista CODEC pack, available from the MS site.

On a Mac, I do not know of the availability of the MS DV-AVI CODEC. Might be like some Mac-only CODEC's, that do not translate to the PC, only in reverse. OTOH, the MS DV-AVI CODEC may well be available for the Mac, but I do not know where to tell you to look for it.

If you do not find a certain CODEC available in your drop-down list, it is likely not installed on your system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              The issue is how to export a progressive Microsoft AVI using the DV NTSC codec.

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I cannot address the lack of a Progressive Export for the DV-AVI CODEC in CS5. It is available in PrPro 2.0, but remember, that will reduce your vertical resolution by 50%, as alternating fields are deleted. Are you sure that is what you want to do?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5

Yes in previous versions you were allowed to set it to upper or progessive but you still wound up with an avi with lower field.

Because that is what DV avi is.

I checked it for CS4, do not have any older version on the pc.

• 13. Re: How to export movie as Microsoft DV AVI in Premiere Pro CS5
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                                  The issue is how to export a progressive Microsoft AVI using the DV NTSC codec.

No such animal. DV is always interlaced, even when you think you're exporting progressive... and except for Matrox, DV is always lower field first.

You didn't specify, but I'm assuming you're talking about exporting a 24p DV AVI. You did swivel down the video codec options to see this, right?

dv-options.png

When you want a "24p" DV file, you need to use the DV (24p Advanced) option. The resulting file is still going to be 29.97 LFF--the only difference is that certain fields are flagged to be removed by the decompressor/decoder in a particular application or player, resulting in what only appears to be a 24 frame-per-second video stream. All this is really doing is putting the fields together in a specific cadence to make it possible or easier for the decoder to strip out the redundant fields.

Do the following as a simple test:

1. Create a countdown leader synthetic clip using DV parameters, but set the timebase to 23.976.
                                  2. Load this clip into the source monitor, and export it once using the DV (24p Advanced) option, and then again using the DV NTSC option.
                                  3. Using MediaInfo or a similar utility, check out the frame rate of both files; you'll see both reported as 29.970 fps.
                                  4. Load the "24p" export into QuickTime player (you need to use QT Player as it lets you step through a video frame-by-frame; Windows Media Player does not do this). Pause the video at the "8" count, and then use the right arrow key to step forward; when you've gone two frames forward, you'll notice that the sweeper appears to double. This is because QT Player is showing you both fields of that particular "frame." If you continue to step forward, you'll see only whole frames until you go five frames forward; then the sweeper will "split" again. Keep going and you'll notice that this pattern repeats.
                                  5. Now load the DV NTSC export into QT Player, and repeat this test. This time, you'll see that every fourth AND fifth frame are interlaced.
                                  6. Import both files into Premiere; the 24p file's frame rate will appear as 23.976 fps, and the other will appear as 29.97 fps. This is because Premiere can detect the advanced pulldown of the 24p file, and remove the redundant fields, generating on-the-fly a 24 frame-per-second video stream. Internally, though, the file is still 29.97 fps, lower field first.

Hope that helps a bit.