5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 7:16 AM by the_wine_snob

Error Message: Sorry...serious error PRE 7 must shut down

Henry-11

PRE 7 was running well. In fact I edited four movies successfully.

But now whenever I attempt to Open Project or New Project I get the message:

"Sorry...serious error encountered...must shut down.

It is really frustrating to pay for a product and then not have it work.

Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Henry-11

• 1. Re: Error Message: Sorry...serious error PRE 7 must shut down
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's hard to say without more information about your system, how much free space is on your hard drive, what operating system you're using and what kind of camcorder your video is coming from.

• 2. Re: Error Message: Sorry...serious error PRE 7 must shut down
            Henry-11 Level 1

I am running Windows XP. (latest version).

The properties window for my drives says:
            C Drive
            Used Space 27.3 GB
            Free Space 205 GB
            Capacity 232 GB

E (External Drive)
            Used Space 27.3 GB
            Free Space 205 GB
            Capacity 232 GB

I use camcorder: Sony VX2000.

I have deleted all previously made (4) movies, hoping for a clean start and hoping that would help. It did not.

So now I don't even get a chance to load from the camecorder because when I click on New Project, I get the message: "Sorry..."

Since PRE 7 has worked in the past, I can only assume that somewhere in there I did something wrong to cause this problem.

Side note: I down loaded a tril version of PRE 8 to see if that would work. Same thing. I have since removed PRE 8.

I will most sincerely appreciate any help because I am a total computer dummie.

Note that I did update to the latest version of Quick  Time. Did not help.

I am so frustrated over this. I recently videoed a Puppet Show and gal is really on my case for the finished product.

• 3. Re: Error Message: Sorry...serious error PRE 7 must shut down
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

So have you ensured that your E drive is formatted NTFS?

Have you also gone to Windows Update, clicked the Custom button and downloaded even the non-critical updates?

Since you're having problems with two versions of Premiere Elements, it's most likely the problem is something on your system -- which is a bit hard to troubleshoot on this forum.

If your system is up to date, your drives are properly set up and freshly defragmented, I don't know why the program -- either version -- won't open for you. Sorry.

• 4. Re: Error Message: Sorry...serious error PRE 7 must shut down
                P_Forrest Level 1

I've had this happen at times opening projects  in PE 7.  I'm not sure but I've found when I've moved the original "source" video files from the location where I've imported them, I get such a crash.  I know it sounds weird since it imports a copy of the source video files into its own directory when you make a new project.

Now I keep all source files to be imported in the same directory on my 2nd drive and I've had no crashes since.

Petey

• 5. Re: Error Message: Sorry...serious error PRE 7 must shut down
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might offer some useful tips for setting up your computer for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt