6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 11:58 AM by Kennicott

Premier Elements 8 Has Stopped Rendering

Kennicott

I have successfully edited 13 minutes of AVCHD video content using PE8 but now the software is refusing to render new AVCHD video clips when I attempt to add them to my project. Any ideas on why this might be happening or how to fix the problem. (One person I consulted believes the problem is that AVCHD files are so massive and complex they are very difficult to edit. If that is the case, I am out big bucks which I just spent on a Canon Vixia HD camera that generates AVCHD files.) Thanks for your advice.

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 8 Has Stopped Rendering
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, make sure your Work Area Bar covers your entire project. Premiere Elements will only render what's under the Work Area Bar on the Timeline.

Then try clearing the Media Cacher under Edit/Preferences/Media Cache.

Finally, ensure that you've got at least 30 gigabytes of free space on your C drive and that it's regularly defragmented. Windows and Premiere Elements need at least that much space to function.

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 8 Has Stopped Rendering
            Kennicott Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I cleared the Media Cache and that didn't change anything. I'm not sure I know what the Work Area Bar is. There is a green line at the top of the work space that indicates the video content below has been rendered. It is red if the content has not been rendered. Above that is a thicker grey bar. Is that the Work Area Bar? If so, it extends only to the middle of the work space, not all the way across it. I then tried dropping a clip into the timeline behind the end of the grey bar I just described. The clip DID render. So if that is the issue, how do I extend that grey bar so it covers the entire work area? You are giving me hope here and I do appreciate your help.  Edited: I just tried dragging that grey bar to the end of the work space and it worked and, yipee, a new clip is now rendering. So you may have resolved my problem. Am I going to need to tend to this regularly? Second edit. I've now dropped a half dozen new clips into the project and they have all rendered. So, Steve, it appears you have resolved my problem. And I thank you so very much. I really don't understand why the work area bar is there but I can keep extending it. No problem. By the way, I have 400 gigs of memory remaining, 8 gigs of ram, a huge graphics card so my computer expert friends tell me I have more capacity than I should ever need.

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 8 Has Stopped Rendering
              Kennicott Level 1

Steve, you resolved my problem and I couldn't be more grateful. I figured

out what the work area bar was and extended it and my video now renders.

Thank you so very much. Patrick

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 8 Has Stopped Rendering
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Very nice, Patrck. Thanks for reporting your success!

I've got lots of this kind of information my books, if you're interested. You can also get many of the basics in my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorial series at http://Muvipix.com.

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 8 Has Stopped Rendering
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I find it easiest to first hit the \ (Backslash key) to zoom out the Timeline to see 100% of it. Then, in the middle of the WAB (Work Area Bar), find the little block, right in the middle. Dbl-click that, to expand the WAB to the full Timeline. I find this easier than, Click-dragging the "brackets," and maybe scrolling the Timeline to extend it completely.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 8 Has Stopped Rendering
                    Kennicott Level 1

Thanks very much for the excellent advice, Bill. I shall do just that. Pat