4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 9:35 AM by Louis_M94

"A device attached to the system is not functioning"

Louis_M94

Hi!

I'm hoping that all the smart people here can help with my problem. I help support/develop several custom windows application. One of these applications is written in Delphi and there is currently a problem with a feature a single computer owned by a client.The client's computer does have the latest version of adobe installed.

* The user is able to select a document from a data grid, and click a button to view that document (in this case a pdf).

* The document is saved from a database to the user's disk

* Using a shell command, the application asks windows to open that file.

Normally this works quite well, until recently. If this client tries to view a pdf file in this manor windows returns a system error, error 31, and the message "A device attached to the system is not functioning" is displayed. If I naviage to the location where the file was saved to an attemp to open it via double clicking, adobe reader opens the document right up. The application historically has had no problems with pdf's nor any other doucment type. If I change the file assoication from adobe to note pad, the application does open the file with note pad, but it is not readable. If I change it back to adobe reader, the problem persists. I've tried uninstalling adobe, reinstalling, and using a previous version of adobe. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI, before someone tell's me I should be talking to microsoft, I am also inquiring on the windows side of this through msdn. Since I am not 100% sure if this is a windows or adobe reader issue I would appreciate suggestions on both sides.

Last but not least, incase it is of any help, this is the delphi command used to ask windows to open the file:

ShellExecute(GetDesktopWindow, 'open', PChar(TempFile), '', '', SW_SHOWNORMAL);

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Louis