1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 10:39 PM by Todd_Kopriva

How should I edit my movies? (color correction)

JonnyWhi

I have Film Magic Pro (videocopilot.net) and I'm not sure how to use it. I know how to apply it to footage, but should I apply it to every one of my videos or should I just apply it to the finished product (edited movie)? Also, is there any way to trim footage in AE instead of doing the trim comp to workspace thing? Thanks

• 1. Re: How should I edit my movies? (color correction)
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          > I have Film Magic Pro (videocopilot.net) and I'm not sure how to use it. I know how to apply it to footage, but should I apply it to every one of my videos or should I just apply it to the finished product (edited movie)?

If you have questions specific to Film Magic Pro, then you should ask on the Video Copilot forum.

That said, the general answer regarding color correction is that you usually need to apply effects differently for each shot and then assemble the shots.

It really depends on how much video editing you're doing, but one common workflow is to color-correct all of you shots in After Effects and then cut those shots together in an NLE like Premiere Pro. Another way is to do your cutting first and then send the individual cuts bck to After Effects (say, using Dynamic Link). It really depends on which application you're doing most of your work in and which you're just treating as the utility application on the side.

> Also, is there any way to trim footage in AE instead of doing the trim comp to workspace thing?

"Trim, extend, or slip-edit a layer"

"Trim footage items in the Footage panel"

But, really, you should be looking at this:

"Working with After Effects and Premiere Pro"

You don't want to do a lot of editing in After Effects.