11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2010 6:42 PM by the_wine_snob

import .mod file - poor quality in Elements

cryp_killa

I just installed Elements. My Panasonic SDR-H80 camcorder creates .MOD files.

when i open these .MOD files in Elements the playback quality is very poor compared to playing the files Windows Media Player.

the quality is equally poor when i export the project to .mpeg using the highest quality settings.

i have made no changes to any Elements settings nor have i made any changes to the .MOD file in or out of Elements.

update: i also tried rendering the clip by simply pressing "enter" after i dragged the clip to the timeline. This had no effect on the video quality.

i tried changin the 24p conversion method and the aspect ration converison settings also. no change. do these changes take effect immediately after makeing them?

makes no difference whether the video monitor is set to fit or 100%.

also tried maximun bit depth in project settings > video rendering

When creating a new project i selected the folowing preset:

NTSC > Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders > Standard 48kHz

the settings of which match all the properties of my .MOD file

My computer is new, very capable of using elements. Windows 7 64bit, 4GB Ram, Intel Core Quad processor

what is the problem?

• 1. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The HDR-H80 is a hybrid camcorder that records to flash memory or a hard drive as standard definition MPEG. It also records in a variety of quality levels -- XP, SP and LP. Which setting did you use? Obviously, anything below XP is going to give you reduced quality.

Beyond that, I'm not sure why you're having quality issues if you fully rendered your video files before playing them.

Hybrid MOD files can be difficult for many PC-based video editors work with. It certainly can be for Premiere Elements. So, if you're unhappy with the results, this may not be the best marriage of camcorder and editor.

But let's see if another person on this forum has experience with that particular camcorder model. Maybe they have found a solution.

• 2. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
            cryp_killa Level 1

i appreciate your reply.

i am recording in the highest quality, XP, and im recording onto the internal HDD. And as i said the videos look great when played my Windows Media Player. I am otherwise using the default settings on my camcorder.

• 3. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>look great when played my Windows Media Player

That is about the same as saying that a pile of bricks is pretty when sitting on the ground... but my truck won't move when they are all loaded in the back

Playing a video is not at all the same as editing

• 4. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
                cryp_killa Level 1

>That is about the same as saying that a pile of bricks is pretty when  sitting on the ground

I'm sorry, was this helpful?

>Playing a video is not at  all the same as editing

Clearly, else i wouldnt be here asking my question. This seems to imply that i should not expect my finished product to be on par with the original clip.

Again, my problem is not isolated to viewing the video in Elements, but includes exporting it as well (rendered or not, and having performed no other editing)

My suspiscion is that Elements does not read my .MOD files well and is limited in settings that might otherwise correct the issue.

Unfortuneately i dont think Premiere Pro will natively open the .MOD file so i have not had success there either.

• 5. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

JVC Everios also produce MOD files. And, to use them successfully, you can sometimes use the editing program that cames with the camcorder to convert the video to a more standard format so that other programs can work with it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/428054?tstart=0

Does you cam come with its own video editing software?

• 6. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve mentioned, JVC's also produce MOD files. In several threads, a very knowledgeable employee of JVC, Chris at JVC, has commented on how well PrE 8 handles the MOD files from the JVC cameras. I had been posting to links on articles on converting, until he gave us all some useful details. Though you do not have a JVC, unless your Panny does a proprietary version of MOD (would not be surprising), this ARTICLE might be useful. Be sure to see the replies by Chris at JVC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another THREAD on MOD files. At the bottom is a link to a reply by Chris. Not sure if it's the same one, as above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
                        cryp_killa Level 1

Bill - this sounds promising, i will read the threads soon and perhaps a pre-v8 version will be my answer!

Steve - lol the camcorder did come with software but here's the deal:

it's not compatible with Win7 so they have this update - http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/soft/download/vcs20ee_w7.html

that requires you to download several files. but several of the links do not link to files.

And panasonic customer service has been horrendous

My email:

"I need a windows compatible version of VideoCam Suite 2.0 of better. the  following link appears to be what i need but when clicking the files i  am supposed to download, only the first one prompts me to download.  clicking the simply opens unreadable text in a new tab. I'm using  Firefox 3.6.3 on Win 7 Home.  http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/soft/download/vcs20ee_w7.html This  is ridiculously frustrating how long i've spent on this issue and even  how long i spent just trying to find this page to send this email. A  prompt reply is appreciated."

Reply 9 days later:

"Thank you for your inquiry,To obtain additional troubleshooting        assistance for your product, please contact our Panasonic Customer  Call        Center at (800)211-7262. The hours of operation are Monday through         Friday 9AM to 9 PM. Saturday and Sunday 10 AM to 7PM Eastern  Standard        Time. A representative will be available to assist you. Please  have your        case number, which is listed at the top portion of your email,  available        at the time of the call.We hope this information is helpful to  you.        Thank you for contacting Panasonic."

My reply:

"A whole week to be given a case number and a phone number??"

Thier reply 7 days later:

"Thank you for your inquiry.  To  obtain updates for Windows 7 32-bit Operating Systems please reference  the below link for software patches to install:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/info/windows7.html

Unfortunately if your system is a 64 bit system,  due to our software not being compatible with a 64 bit system, nor do  we have any upcoming updates, we recommend consulting a third party for  compatibility and possible use of another software.  We do  apologize for any inconvenience.  Thank you for contacting  Panasonic."

Useless! its like they didnt even read my email and they completely negelected to direct me to the correct webpage. And they completely negelect to address my question about the broken links. im just venting...

These reply's are appreaciated and i will post back with my results!

• 9. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, sounds like a support Catch-22, or maybe it should be a Catch-64?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
                            cryp_killa Level 1

For anyone who might find my solution helpful:

It was suggested that i try an older version of elemnts as it may read .mod better. i did not try this.

I considered trying a tool to convert the .mod files to something else in hopes that Elements might read them better (assuming Elements is at fault for not properly reading my .mod files) or that Premiere Pro or After Effects would recognize them. (current versions of Premiere Pro and After Effects will not recognize .mod files. At least not my Panasonic .mod files.)

But first i tried simply renaming them to ".mpg". (to do this in windows 7 i went to " control planel (small icon view) > Folder and Search Options > View " and i unchecked "Hide extensions for known file types". This made the "dot mod" show up at the end of the filename so i could change it while renaming the file)

Renaming to .mpg is safe. it had effectively no effect on the file. i could still open and play it in Windows Media Player with no loss of quality. Unfortunately it did not solve my problem and did not improve the quality of the video when viewed in Elements.

It did, however, allow me to open the file in After Effects CS5 so thats the end of my story. Im happy with After Effects and that's what i'll use to make simple edits to my video files.

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions.

Final Note: I have never previously used After Effects and havent the slightest idea how yet. took a whole minute just to spot the play button. Now that i have opened my newly renamed .mpg file in After Effects the playback quality is perfect but on my first try i did not get any audio. It could be many things, likely a setting or maybe i need a different playback mode selected or something. But it is possible that renaming the .mod to .mpg has caused After Effects to not read the audio. Idk. Again, though, the .mpg played perfect (audio and video) in WMP. I'm sure I'll get it to work and will report back if this is actually an issue. otherwise, peace!

• 11. Re: import .mod file - poor quality in Elements
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting.

Once you get the hang of AE, you will not look back! It's not quite as intuitive as Premiere (to me at least), but is wonderfully powerful.

Good luck,

Hunt