10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 11:38 AM by chris.campbell

Alerts running slow in air

Ibarim Level 1

Hi, this is strange - when I run my app in flex (e.g. in debug mode) everything is fine, but when I export a release build in air all the alerts I use are running very slow. For example the background animation runs slowly and I have to wait few seconds for air to respond to my click on alert's popup button.  Has anyone had similar situation?

• 1. Re: Alerts running slow in air
          chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Hello,

Is it possible to get a sample project so we can try to reproduce this in house?  Please feel free to PM or email me at ccampbel@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2. Re: Alerts running slow in air
            Ibarim Level 1

Hi,

I will try to generate a sample project and send it to you via e-mail.

I've diagnosed part of the problem.

My app is basically a set of games. There is a 'game panel' where user can choose options etc., and there are few games, which user can play.

The 'game panel' has an animation running in the background (some white dots running randomly from bottom of the stage).  When I remove this animation alerts on the 'game panel' react much faster. So this was the problem. This animation doesn't look like a 'heavy - weight'. I suppose it's a problem with air itself becouse problem occurs only in the release version.

I will send you project with this animation to check it out.

But the problem with alerts still exists during games, e.g. when an 'Esc' button is pressed there's an alert asking 'If you really want to exit'. Delay of app after pressing alert's button is longer when the game is more complicated. And again - problem exists only in release version, during testing it works much faster.

• 3. Re: Alerts running slow in air
              Ibarim Level 1

Hi,

are there any progress in diagnosis of this problem? I'm not sure if to wait for air upadate fixing the bug or to change my project somehow?

Regards

• 4. Re: Alerts running slow in air

Hi,

I'm not sure if you sent me a sample project, I apologize if you did and I didn't receive it.  Our firewall blocks .zip files so you'll need to rename it or host the project and send me a link.  You didn't mention platform, but we've been working on a number of performance issues with 2.0.2 and just fixed a Windows only issue that sounds like it might be related.  If you can get me a sample, I'll work on it and let you know if it's been resolved (or will open a new bug if not.)

Thanks,

Chris

• 5. Re: Alerts running slow in air
                  Ibarim Level 1

Hi,

my previous email had a .zip flex project file attached so it must've been blocked. I've just sent you another email with file named 'test.test', hope it'll manage to get through the firewall. If not please let me know I'll generate some link.

Cheers,

Wojtek

• 6. Re: Alerts running slow in air

Thanks!  I got the email and will test it out and get back to you today.

Chris

• 7. Re: Alerts running slow in air

For those that might be following this thread, I tested the app provided against our latest internal build and found that the slow down has been fixed.

Chris

• 8. Re: Alerts running slow in air
                        Slomorobo

Hi,

I'm also having a similar problem. Anytime I create a popup with the popupmanager, whether it's an alert or a custom window, my air app will slow to a crawl in the deployed version. However it runs perfectly fine in debug and release in my dev version.

My flex sdk is version 3.6.0 and the build is 16736 and I'm using FlashDevelop and I have the latest version of Air that's released...

If this bug is fixed do you know when it will be made available to the public?

• 9. Re: Alerts running slow in air
                          Slomorobo Level 1

I've also noticed that using any kind of effects like transparency with a normal flex control also slows the deployed version program down, even when it's working fine in development.

• 10. Re: Alerts running slow in air

The bug seen in the sample app, provided earlier in the thread, was fixed in our upcoming build.  We anticipate releasing the update sometime next week and I'll post back if we run into any delays.

Chris