4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 7:47 AM by Chimay10

How do I create a live tracing?

Chimay10 Level 1

I have a freehand rendering that I need to get into a workable illustrator format.  What format do I save it in when scanned, and how do I engage live tracing so that I can play with the resulting graphic or create that graphic?

• 1. Re: How do I create a live tracing?
          Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Illustrator can work with tif, jpeg, psd among some other formats. Don't make the file too big. Illy pops up a warning when it's bigger than 1500 Pixels anyway

First I would try and lighten the background in Photoshop so it's  white and delete the dark spots in the edges of the scan.

In Illy you don't just hit the trace button, but click on the little  arrow on the right that leads you to the tracing options. Do you want to trace colored or Black and white?

For black and white traces you can choose between fills and strokes.  If you want to capture the drawing gestus, fills will be suitable. If  you like to achieve exactly tha same line weight for all of the figures  later, choose strokes. Illy will then trace single lines in the middle  of the pen lines (or whatever tool those figures were drawn with).

Check the "Ignore White" option (Illy CS3 and up), so that the  background won't be created as dozens of white objects.

Then check "preview" and adjust the other options. If that's the  biggest scan you have, you will have to choose a rather small amount of  "minimum area" (below 25) and "path fitting".

For both applies: the smaller the value, the exacter the result, but  the more anchors in paths

Then you can only try and work with the "corner angle" setting.

After doing the trace, you have to expand it (in order to use the  paths).

There's a quite detailed tutorial available at: http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/pdfs/creating_vector_content.pdf

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I create a live tracing?
            Chimay10 Level 1

Thanks so much.  My image is monochrome blue.  I think I may have enough to proceed.  I'll let you know.  I'm using CS4 at the moment so I'll learn how it differs from CS2 in the tutorial.

• 3. Re: How do I create a live tracing?
              Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome.

In CS4 you have the additional option to "ignore white" and that's all of the difference - at least all that happens on the surface.

• 4. Re: How do I create a live tracing?
                Chimay10 Level 1

Monika, Thaks again.

David Cowan

dave@davecowan.com