32 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 5:45 AM by Erwin B

Video Card For Outputting HDMI?

ebinrock

I'm just wondering, for our upgrade to CS5, if we're shooting completely tapeless (using Panasonic P2 cards) and therefore not using a deck of any kind, how do we get program out to our flat screen monitor?  Our monitor is of the consumer variety, using HDMI for input.  Is there a second video card (alongside our Quadro FX 3800) that can output the program out to HDMI?  How do we set Premiere to output program video to that card?

Thanks,

Dale Cornibe

Electronic Media/Video Producer

Travis County, Texas

• 1. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
          Bisa Goma Level 2

Simple solution is Blackmagic Declink cards, Try Intensity Pro under 200.00 or the studio version 299.00 and you can capture and output anything in uncompressed quality. www.decklink.com

r

• 2. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
            FelixUnderwood Level 2

This is the route I"m going: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/pc/mxo2_family/mxo2_le/  In addition to providing HDMI out to any external monitor, it allows inputs to CS5 in composite, S, component and SDI in and out.

• 3. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Pity it does not work with a common monitor setup like this:

Samsung MD230X3.jpg

The MXO2 just does not support the normal resolution. And the major handicap, it is Matrox...

• 4. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

No need to get any additional cards. Get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (read some reviews; quality varies) and then set up your HDMI-enabled monitor using Extended Desktop in Display Settings (I'm assuming you're using Windows?). At this point, you'll effectively have one big display, with the desktop stretching across both monitors.

Once you launch Premiere, go into Playback settings and set your Realtime Playback External Device to your HDMI monitor (which should now appear). What this does is create a fullscreen output on your secondary monitor that is perfectly in time with your Program Monitor.

There's no need to spend money on any of the previously mentioned hardware (unless you need some sort of input, but it sounds like you don't), and in fact, I would recommend strongly against them. In my opinion--and I think this is borne out by many other users--Blackmagic and particularly Matrox add-ons often introduce more problems than they solve. Bottom line is that you can do what you want to do for a relatively meager investment in an adapter.

• 5. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                  ebinrock Level 1

Yeah, BABY!  Now you're talking.

• 6. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                    ebinrock Level 1

Well, the Quadro FX 3800 card (one of the few cards Adobe says will work with their Mercury Playback Engine) unfortunately does not output to 3 display devices at once.  Shame.  You'd think the biggest video card platforms like ATI and NVIDIA would have thought to make a card like that with video overlay on an external LCD monitor/TV.  I think they make an SDI version of the 4800 but that sucker's over $4,000!

Another question: Is it possible to have more than one video display card (i.e., graphics card) in a computer at the same time and NOT have a conflict?

• 7. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

So, are you using two desktop monitors already?

Is it possible to have more than one video display card (i.e., graphics card) in a computer at the same time and NOT have a conflict?

Yes. Have done it myself. I think it's prudent to have two cards from the same GPU manufacturer (not necessarily card manufacturer), but I ran an ATI card as my primary with an nVidia card as my secondary. The one caveat is that Premiere will still have to use the second monitor on the primary card for the fullscreen preview. This isn't a big deal; just find a cheapo nVidia as your secondary card and do what I described above.

Other option is to get a bigger primary monitor; I'm not sure what size you're using presently, but I love editing on a single 24".

• 8. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                        ebinrock Level 1

Yes, for the application (Project window with all bins on left monitor,source and program monitors on right, with timeline/sequence spanning between both).  Currently we're using Matrox Axio LE (on Windows XP system) to output component video to consumer plasma monitor (all we had $$$ for in our budget).  We're currently using Prod. Prem. CS4, and it's crashing (mostly locking up) a LOT.

• 9. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I'd blame Matrox for your crashes, frankly. CS4 wasn't as solid as CS5 is (in my experience), but it's still more than stable enough for real use. That is, until you add something into the mix that only wants to play in its own playground, like a Matrox card does.

• 10. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                            joe bloe premiere Level 5

Hopefully ieee1394 output will be restored in an update.

• 11. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                              FelixUnderwood Level 2

I have to say, CS4 is now a nightmare, whereas in the beginning a year ago just a bad dream and I'm open to the fact that Matrox drivers might be largely reponsible, for I'm currently using the Axio LE. I'm having terrible performance results in addition to instability (just look at my PPBM4 results, even though I have 2 x 3.0Ghz quad processors with 20 gigs of RAM on Win 7 Ult.), so I can't strongly endorse the Matrox MXO2-LE, though I haven't purchased it yet. It has a very nice blue-bars calibration utility which, when you're doing HD broadcast, is a nice caveat to get the most accurate adjustment of external monitors.

• 12. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                ebinrock Level 1

That's too bad, as we already made an investment of $3,000 x 2 edit systems.  What then do you suggest for output of program monitor to large flat panel (preferably HDMI, but I suppose we could go out SDI and use an SDI > HDMI converter -- and preferably inexpensive)?

• 13. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                  ebinrock Level 1

We're looking to get beyond IEEE 1394/DV to go to P2 HD formats like either DVCPRO HD or, better, AVC Intra 100 (cream of the crop, baby!).

• 14. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                    ebinrock Level 1

Do you or anybody else here think Matrox's drivers will improve in the Fall, when they are supposed to deliver new drivers for the CS5 (they promise the "tightest integration" with Adobe codecs, blah, blah, blah).

• 15. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                      FelixUnderwood Level 2

There is an editor in Canada who just ordered the MXO-LE w/Max and he's going to report back on how it integrates with CS5 and, just as importantly, his new computer. Here are his PPBM4 results w/o the MXO2, which he just sent me:

Rob-PCi7,   Personal or Computer ID
                                      Gigabyte,  Computer Manufacturer
                                      GA-X58A-UD5,   Computer Model
                                      29.4,  secs Total Benchmark Time
                                      4.6,  secs AVI  Encoding Time
                                      6.8,  secs MPEG Elapsed Time
                                      18,  secs Rendering Time
                                      Intel,    CPU Manufacturer
                                      i7 980x,    CPU Model
                                      3.33,    GHz CPU speed
                                      1,    Number of CPU chips
                                      12,    Total Number of Cores
                                      12,    GB RAM
                                      5,    APP Version PPBM4 DV
                                      Win7 64,    OSVersion
                                      SATA,    OS Disk Interface
                                      300,    GB OS Disk Capacity
                                      10,000,    OS Disk Speed
                                      SATA,    Project Disk Interface
                                      1,000,    GB Project Disk Capacity
                                      7200,    Project Disk Speed
                                      SATAIII,    Preview Disk Interface
                                      project disk,    GB Preview Disk Capacity
                                      project disk,    Preview Disk Speed
                                      SATA,    Output Disk Interface
                                      1000x2R0,    GB Output Disk Capacity
                                      7200,    Output Disk Speed
                                      GTX 480,    Graphics Board

So, with the Matrox MXO2-LE w/Max drivers, which are due any day now, he will re-run this test and report on any changes in benchmark results and any change in CS5's stability, which most everyone has been giving an A to. To try to answer your question, I think Matrox's CS5 drivers will be much more stable, simply because they'll be traveling on a 64-bit highway that recognises more than 3 gigs of RAM.

• 16. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

If past performance is any indication, then NO.

However, we have all seen how much Adobe improved with CS5. There were always a number of people that did not want to be guinea pigs with a .0 release and we all know Adobe did a terrific job with CS5, so the number of people waiting in the corridor have dwindled significantly.

So there may be hope for Matrox as well if you are optimistic.

• 17. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                          DreamCaptureMedia

The new Nvidia cards, the 470 and the 480 have 2 DVI outs plus an HDMI out, Works perfect for me on the 470. DVI to my main monitor and hdmi to an LCD TV for preview.

Ben

• 18. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Under the assumption that you only have one editing monitor. You can't have three monitors active at the same time, even though there are three connectors on the back. One of the DVI ports and the HDMI port are either or configured, not both.

• 19. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                              ebinrock Level 1

That would be great, except I don't think it will be compatible with CS5.  CS5 requires a card from a select list of special cards with CUDA cores (whatever those are) to work with the new Mercury Playback Engine.  That means, in the Quadro FX series (the series we now use), either the 3800, 4800, or 5800.

• 20. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

That would be great, except I don't think it will be compatible with CS5.  CS5 requires a card from a select list of special cards with CUDA cores (whatever those are) to work with the new Mercury Playback Engine.  That means, in the Quadro FX series (the series we now use), either the 3800, 4800, or 5800.

Bullocks The GTX 285, which is not a Quadro is an "official" card; in fact, the 5.0.1 update of Premiere that was recently released uncapped the artificial track limit for the 285. In addition, Adobe has acknowledged that some or all of the GTX 400 series will be officially supported in Q3 or so. Beyond that, I'm running at GTX 480 right now (as are many other folks on this board) using an extremely easy-to-perform hack. I've got full-on hardware accelerated MPE, at a lower price than your FX3800

Just search for something like "GPU hack" and you'll find more threads than you can shake a stick at...

• 21. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                  DreamCaptureMedia Level 1

The 470 works great for me with the hack. Heck of a card for $350.

Ben

• 22. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?

No output to a third monitor indeed has me waiting in the corridor.

• 23. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The dilemma:

ATI has EyeFinity with support for up to 6 monitors but no hardware MPE.

nVidia has MPE support, but only supports 2 monitors.

ATI is faster than nVidia (without MPE), runs cooler and is more economical, so what is wise?

• 24. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?

I think it would be wise for nVidia and Adobe to work it out.

• 25. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                          rowby Level 1

Perhaps this could help in some way.  It's a amplified unit that lets  you plug in one HDMI input and output to up to 4 external HMMi monitors.  Not sure if there is any lag.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Latest/dp/B00263D7A4/ref=pd_ybh_5? pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r= 0Z1XT8CEE0XZM945CEDF

I bought it in order to play 3 HDMI video monitors from a hd camera.  It just arrived and I haven't tested it yet.

I'll report here when I have time to connect it to additional monitors.

Rowby

• 26. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                            Studio North Films Level 3

I have found a solution, and it wont be to expensive.

ok what you  need isa

Matrox DualHead2Go Digital  Edition

and this is how it would be connected.

1x Dvi from  graphics card to Matrox TripleHead

2x Dvi from Matrox TripleHead  to 2x Monitors

1x Dvi From Graphics Card to Preview monitor

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/

hope this  helps

Baz

for hdmi just use a dvi to hdmi cable.

• 27. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                              ebinrock Level 1

Thanks, but the message I'm getting from a lot of folks here is stay away from Matrox.  I found the Blackmagic Design DeckLink Studio, which consists of two I/O cards with both SDI and HDMI.  Anyone had good results with that card?  Does it work with CS5?

• 28. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                                Studio North Films Level 3

Hi, matrox editing cards have not got very good feedback on this forum.

This is an external device that will not cost mutch.

the issue with some internal cards is that they may cause isues with other devices.

good luck anyway.

Baz

• 29. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                                  Erwin B

Blackmagic Intensity Pro Is very unstable with two of my Stations. CS5 preforms better without third party hardware.

I am currently using adobe presets bypassing my intensity and have a 9600 gt and it is Awsome!

• 30. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                                    FelixUnderwood Level 2

Matrox has been very unstable with PPro CS4, but my understanding is that PPro CS4 w/o Matrox wasn't much better. Though I'm wide open to the possibility that Matrox might be unstable with CS5, no one knows yet, for the Matrox CS5 drivers aren't out yet. And please keep in mind that we're now traveling down a 64-bit highway, instead of 32 and this makes a huge difference in terms of stability. It appears to have increased the stabilitily of CS5 big time. It might very well do the same for Matrox Axio and MXO2. Some of us who do work primarily for HD broadcast and/or supervised edits HAVE to have an external monitor, in addition to our two edit interface monitors. Until one of you swears by (meaning is using) an alternate way of getting 1920x1080i output to an external monitor, I don't feel I have much choice than to shell out $1400 for a Matrox MXO2-E w/Max. Also, this allows multiple format Input/Outputs to Premiere (composite, component, S, SDI, & HDMI).

• 31. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                                      Bisa Goma Level 2

You said, "Blackmagic Intensity Pro Is very unstable with two of my Stations. CS5 preforms better without third party hardware.

From experience, I have noticed that there are no bad i/o cards, precisely Black Magic cards are great if only you have the right hardware to match.

I have four Black Magic Pro cards. Two are residing alongside a Matrox and the other a canopus card with no conflicts. The card gives me smooth in and out in all formats and did cost me an arm and a leg.

I recommend that card for all CS5 users for the cost, flexibility and at times that you want to capture from other sources. Matrox has driver update problems.

• 32. Re: Video Card For Outputting HDMI?
                                                                        Erwin B Level 1
                                                                        function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Bisa Goma wrote: Black Magic cards are great if only you have the right hardware to match.

Hardware conflict is not the issue here, as my two workstations work perfectly under CS3. using both XP and windows 7 64 bit. Under CS5 I can expect a runtime error every 5 to 10 minutes. Especially if working with 2 or more video tracks. Just using 1 track it works o.k.

This leads me to beleive the drivers are at fault and possible memory leak or memory addressing problems.

I can only speak for playback, not capture, using DVCPROHD presets.