5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 11:16 AM by Scott Falkner

bar scale in a map

nellyann

Although this is not an unique  illustrator question can someone can shed me some light if you can. I need it a map for Bariloche, Argentina showing 2 different addresses which I found in google maps, made a screenshot, paste, cleaned in Photoshop (don't need streets in the map) & exported paths to illustrator. After I finished drawing the map I was asked to put an bar scale in the map like the one attached. I'm clueless. I notice in Google that when you print a map the actual scale does not print. Thanks

bar.jpg

• 1. Re: bar scale in a map
          Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Your sample image is only 53x32 pixels. It is unviewable.

I notice in Google that when you print a map the actual scale does not print.

Yes, but your procedure calls for grabbing a screenshot, not printing the map. The screenshot should include the scale reference:

GoogleLocalCap.gif

• 2. Re: bar scale in a map
            nellyann Level 1

bar2.jpgThanks Harron for your Quick response. I tried to print the map with the scale but since it wasn't printing & I used a screenshot. Once I finished the map in illustrator the scale was invalid because I have to reduce it to fit in area of  3.375x4.62. The scale attached is a sample of the one we use.

• 3. Re: bar scale in a map
              Harron K. Appleman Level 4
              Once I finished the map in illustrator the scale was invalid because I have to reduce it to fit in area of  3.375x4.62.

I'm afraid you've lost me. If the scale reference bar was reduced at the same time as the rest of the map, why would it become invalid?

If it's a matter of creating a scale reference that shows 'X" miles to the inch, you should be able to take the original reference (or an overlay you've drawn) and scale it as necessary using basic arithmetic.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: bar scale in a map
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll need to draw the scale in Photoshop when you do the other lines that you export to AI and then use that to make your new scale in AI.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: bar scale in a map
                  Scott Falkner Level 5

Take another screen shot, place it in your Illustrator file, and set the transparency to something like 50% so you can see through it. Scale the screen shot so it’s scale matches your drawn map. Now you can draw your scale over the scale in the screen shot and it will be accurate. Delete the screen shot when done.