7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 6:20 AM by roryross

Transform CS5

davecc Level 1

Hi,

In CS4, when I wanted to step a job with the repeats below the original, I would enter the - key before the figure. In CS5, when I do the same it goes to the top of the original. Is there a preference change or is it the way CS5 is meant to function?

David

• 1. Re: Transform CS5
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

David,

They made CS5 upside down.

Is there a preference change or is it the way CS5 is meant to function?

Not really, and yes. But:

To change the ruler origin in CS5 to be the same as in CS4 and earlier, you may:

1) Find and open the AIPrefs (Win speak) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs (Mac speak) file; it is a hidden file in the hidden folder Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings

2): Find and change the following two bits of code:

/isRulerOriginTopLeft 1 >>> /isRulerOriginTopLeft 0 (change 1 to 0)

/isRulerIn4thQuad 1 >>> /isRulerIn4thQuad 0 (change 1 to 0)

This is a global change.

• 2. Re: Transform CS5
            davecc Level 1

Hi Jacob,

Thanks so much for replying. I think I will stay with the new way as I may mess things up.

David

• 3. Re: Transform CS5
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That's a smart move and they definitely did not make it upside down.

What they did is integrate it with the other applications and make it they way most people preferred it and needed it for their workflow.

Many of the users who now say it is upside down use to complain that it was upside down before and those that liked it the way it was ignore the common sense that vast majority of users who came to this forum express as to a work flow for both print and web as well as video.

• 4. Re: Transform CS5
                roryross Level 1

Everyone I work with sees it the other way. We do not do page layout. We move objects based on the object. Positive numbers for up and right and negative for down and left. In Illustrator it's been that way for at least 18 years, and now Adobe decides to change it. Nice. I agree we're just gonna have to get used to it, doesn't mean it's the way it should be.

• 5. Re: Transform CS5
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I bet eventually this art gets into page layouts.

And that is probably something that would freak most graphic designers.

• 6. Re: Transform CS5
                    DesignRoo Level 1

And that is probably something that would freak most graphic designers

Yep. But most of us have to be pretty flexible in our work and software knowledge... we will cope...after all, some of us had to cope 18 years ago!. And we can always ask here

• 7. Re: Transform CS5
                      roryross Level 1

You'd loose that bet. Our work is in Illustrator from beginning to end. The way I see it, even if we drew art that made it's way to page layout designers, they would be placing it or importing into Indesign or another page layout program and that program would work in the way that they are accustom to working.