5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 8:01 AM by RossRitchey

Published F4v video and html plays locally but not online...

johnrg Level 1

I am running Windows 7/64 and Master Collection. I've created a clip of DV NTSC footage to test F4V publishing. Done this many times with CS3 and flv files but this has me stumped. I can successfully view the video and web page locally in IE and Netscape but on upload to my server I have the menu and placement right but no video appears. I created the clip in Premiere Pro CS5 and exported to F4V/FLV best quality. Opened an Actionscript Media DV NTSC template in Flash Pro CS5 and imported the video which I had pre-placed in my root web folder locally. I then exported the swf and saved the fla. All files were then in my root folder and the scrpts in the scripts folder. In Live View in Dreamweaver CS5 all looked fine. In each browser locally the video played as expected. Once all files were uploaded the video was not visible.

The file is located here...

http://www.goodmangraphic.com/2010vid.htm

in the root directory are... Sequence 01_1.f4v, minimaflatcustomcolorall.swf, 2010movie.swf, 2010movie.fla and in the scripts folder, expressinstall.swf and swfobject_modified.js.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on what I may be doing wrong.

John

• 1. Re: Published F4v video and html plays locally but not online...
          RossRitchey Level 4

Did you insert the movie to the Stage before or after you saved the file?

What I see happen a lot is that people open a brand new Flash file, insert a video, then save the file.  It works perfect locally, but not on the server.  This is because, when inserting a video into an unsaved document, Flash automatically creates an absolute path to the video on the computer.  Since that path is not available on the server, the video doesn't load.

To remedy - open the FLA, select the video object on the stage and go to the "Parameters" panel.  Here you will see a list of attributes for the video.  In the "source" attribute, you will see a path to a location on your computer ("C:/Documents and Settings/..../video.f4v" or "D:/My_Files/project/video.f4v" or some such).  Change this to be a relative path (just "Sequence 01_1.f4v"), re-export and re-upload the SWF.

For future reference, you can avoid this by saving the FLA before importing a video.  If the file is saved, Flash will use a path relative to the location of the FLA on your computer, rather than the absolute path it needs to work with an unsaved project.

• 2. Re: Published F4v video and html plays locally but not online...
            johnrg Level 1

Ross,

As you suggested I checked the fla and indeed the local path was there so I changed it to it's relative path, then re exported the swf and saved the fla, re-uploading the files. No luck on ability to see online or even local preview. So I then reset the file location to use the actual URL online and that would not work and even in fla showed an error it could not connect to the file. So I reverted to local naming of the file again to test and sure enough it previewed fine locally in both browsers but again reverting to a relative path or http, failed to sucessfully see the video.

I am not having these issues with flv format, just the f4v. As an example here is the flv version using the url in the fla file attributes...

http://www.goodmangraphic.com/2010vid_b.htm

BTW - I simply renamed the extension after duplicatng the file for the video in this example.

Appreciate the help.

John

• 3. Re: Published F4v video and html plays locally but not online...
              RossRitchey Level 4

It sounds like the server isn't set up to serve up F4V files.  Check that the MIME-TYPE is there (or have your server administrator do so).

• 4. Re: Published F4v video and html plays locally but not online...
                johnrg Level 1

Ross,

I believe you are correct. I thought that might be the issue and checked my server this morning and need to update a server config file with the mime types. I probably will defer to flv files currently so I don't need to set mime types for a few domains but I believe this solves why I could not run the f4v files.

Thanks,

John

• 5. Re: Published F4v video and html plays locally but not online...
                  RossRitchey Level 4

Yeah, those pesky MIME-TYPES can be a pain in the rear. Glad I could help.