2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 9:39 AM by Captiv8r

How do I translate "Related Topics" button text into French?

blukshaw

I am working with a RH7 project that is being translated into French.

I have already discoevered that I am going to have to redraw the Contents, Index, and Search buttons to get French text onto them.

My question is, is there a way to change the text on the Related Topics button to French?

Bill

• 1. Re: How do I translate "Related Topics" button text into French?
          perttime Level 1

You should not have to make your own Contents, Index, and Search button texts for French. Changing the help languege setting to French should give you many of the Help UI texts, from file 'RoboHHRE.lng'

RoboHelp should pull the correct files from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHELP\language\fr_FR

and put them in folder \!Language!\fr_FR in the help project.

The translated 'RoboHHRE.lng' file should also appear in the root folder of the help project.

Here's a piece of the French file that I have:

[Common]
          Contents=Sommaire
          Index=Index
          Search=Rechercher
          Glossary=Glossaire
          Logo/Author=Optimisé par
          Show=Afficher
          Hide=Masquer
          SyncToc=SyncToc
          Prev=<<
          Next=>>
          Disabled Prev=<<
          Disabled Next=>>
          Seperate = |

I did not find the "Related Topics" text there. But I am not using that feature either.

RH7 does not have a translated .lng file for all languages, so I had to get a number of them translated. For non-supported languages, I am faking it and replacing the English (UK) file in the help project with a translated file...

• 2. Re: How do I translate "Related Topics" button text into French?
            Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there

Unfortunately, I don't think it will be that simple.

I suspect the OP was referring to the Skin elements. Sure, the lng file may change the verbiage, but that would only have an effect if you weren't using any image buttons in the skin. As the buttons in the Skin contain the text elements as part of the image, it is often necessary to create new images with new text in order to influence the change.

As for the Related Topics, one is also able to use an image with text there. So one might consider substituting images for these. You *ARE* able to influence what these present as the text, but you would need to scan through the project and edit each of them to do it. Perhaps you could perform some find and replace magick to do so.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks