4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 3:34 PM by LPMichael

Table contained in a topic causes slow response when working with source

LPMichael Level 1

I am using RoboHelp V8.0.2 (I have applied the two fixes available from the Adobe product site).

Here is my issue:

I am documenting a product that has over 1,500 metrics.

I am trying to make a list of 1,077 metrics in one topic (all the metrics are of the same "type" so they are grouped together).

The table presenting these metrics has two columns, a Field Name column and a Description column.

There is not a lot of text within the table - most of the explanations and calculations are defined outside the table.

When I have more than about 400 table rows, the response time working with the topic in source is just horrible.

It took 3 minutes to open the topic in source, another 3 minutes to move the table over .425in from margin.

When I try to close the project, it gets hung up.

Has anyone else run into a problem working with tables within a topic?

I had a similar response time issue with V8.0.0 in general when I first installed it.

Once I installed the two fixes, that problem was (for the most part) eliminated.

I think the second fix specifically addressed response time issues when working in source.

I am going to try this on one of my other writer's machine to see if it is the age of my computer.

My computer setup is:

Dell Precision work station with an Intel Xeon 2.40GHZ processor and 2MB of RAM.

I am using Windows XP Professional 5.1.26 Service Pack 3.0.

I have a 110 GB hard drive with 18 GB available.

As always - thanks for any insight or information.

Michael F Weart

• 1. Re: Table contained in a topic causes slow response when working with source
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

Hi Michael.

Interestingly the maximum number of rows you can use when you create a table via the Table > Insert > Table menu item is 100. That said, I've just created a 500 row table and whilst it is slower than a smaller table it is OK. I am also using RH 8.0.2 but on a higher spec PC.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
          • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter
          • 2. Re: Table contained in a topic causes slow response when working with source
            LPMichael Level 1

A few new observations:

(1) I did not realize the Insert Table option only allows for 100 rows maximum

(2) I create the data for the table in Excel, copy and paste into Word (I keep dual source - one in Word and one in RoboHelp) and then import into the RoboHelp project

I opened this project on my brand new laptop at home (Intel Duo 2 processor with 4MB memory) and it takes approx 45 seconds to open the topic with the big table. It seems it might be either (1) the amount of memory on my PC and/or (2) the processor. I will have to see if I can bump the memory up to 4MB and then try this again.

If anyone else has some input, send it my way.

Thanks again --

Michael F Weart

• 3. Re: Table contained in a topic causes slow response when working with source
              Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

A table with that many rows is probably not very user friendly... Also, the topic itself becomes very large, users will have to download the entire topic. The Excel sheet itself is probably more useful, as you can sort, search and filter it.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

• 4. Re: Table contained in a topic causes slow response when working with source
                LPMichael Level 1

The topic does not take long to load from the generated WebHelp. As to viewing 1,500 metric content, I have added a filter via javascript that allows the user to enter a partial name of metric and filter the list (table rows not matching filter criteria are hidden). I do not want to put all 1,500 metrics in one topic in one table, but this was a request from Product Management who were adamant about doing this and I am fighting it all the way.

If I did not note this before, the generated WebHelp has no problems with response time or loading. The problems I am encountering are all isolated to working with this topic in source and not generated WebHelp. And as I noted earlier in this thread, my test on the home laptop indicates that it is my PC that is the problem and not necessarily the help source or the RoboHelp application.

If anyone has any other input/advice/information, please post here.

Thanks --

Michael F Weart