3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 6:35 AM by Jobv

Contribute CS4 suddenly won't connect, but it did before...

erinada

I just re-designed and launched a website for my client, who used Contribute CS4 to edit the old site, and now for some reason when they open Contribute and click on "connect", they get this error:

"This error (HTTP 404 Not Found) means that this program was able to connect to the website, but the page you wanted was not found. It's possible that the webpage is temporarily unavailable. Alternatively, the website might have changed or removed the webpage."

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why they could connect to their server before, and not now.  When I try to make a connection to their website in Contribute CS5, I enter in the FTP info and I get the error:

"Unknown host. Contribute can not find the server "ftp.spenardroadhouse.com" Please check your connection information or contact your administrator."

I know there isn't anything wrong with the web pages themselves, because I'm able to use Contribute to edit them when they are on my server instead of the client's server.  Also, I have no trouble connecting to the client's server using FTP in Dreamweaver.

Does anyone know why this is happening?  Help!

• 1. Re: Contribute CS4 suddenly won't connect, but it did before...
          mxhall Level 1

It sounds like the same problem I had after editing a page on my site. everyone trying to get to the home page got the "404 - not found" message. it happened because my home page was named "index.htm" and I edited and saved the page as "index.html". when I renamed the page back to "index.htm" the problem went away.

• 2. Re: Contribute CS4 suddenly won't connect, but it did before...
            Dominic Michael Adobe Employee

Try clearing the Contribute preference.

To Clear the preference, quit Contribute, and then delete the Contribute CS4 folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\ and also run the following command " reg delete "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Contribute 5" /f " if you are using Contribute CS4. Reconnect to the site and try the same scenario.
            Note that, if you clear the preferences then no connection will be listed in Contribute, you need to recreate the connections. It will be like a fresh installation.

• 3. Re: Contribute CS4 suddenly won't connect, but it did before...
              Jobv

Hi, we are currently experiencing this issue while maintaining a list of +75 connections in Contribute. We are using a CPS server to maintain user/connection information.

Reinstalling is not really a good option since it takes about 3 hours before all the connections are back up.

How can you explain that for on connection it's working fine, while for some others not, while using EXACTLY the same FTP information??

See this piece of log from "cnetperformancelog": (i've starred out parts of the domain on purpose)

820    27/04/2011 15:16:46    jobv    netio/FTP    OpenConnection    UNKNOWN_HOST    6    0    4.5012    ftp://be-***********-vil51/    /
              821    27/04/2011 15:16:51    jobv    action/end    get hub    0    0    0    5.5733    http://www.it-*************.at/    -
              822    27/04/2011 15:17:06    jobv    action/start    sync site/LIVE-DK-GRADUATES    0    0    0    0.0000    http://www.elev-**************.dk/    -
              823    27/04/2011 15:17:06    jobv    netio/FTP    FileNameExists    0    0    0    0.4353    ftp://be-*********-vil51/    /_mm/ct3beta/messaging/users/Johan.Bove_at_********************