8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 1:39 AM by Jacob Bugge

Using a Blend Changes Color.

martcol Level 4

I have drawn two circles.  I made another shape to connect the two circles and copied that shape.  Then I deleted the edges of the shape to leave two curved paths that touch the two circles.  Then I blended the two lines to try to make the colors of the two circles a gradient.  Then I used the orignal connecting shape as a mask.

Blend02.jpg

My problem is that the ends of the blend aren't dark enough so there's a sudden color shift from the circle to the blend.  How can I make the start and finish colors match the circles?

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: Using a Blend Changes Color.
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Martin,

Your working with lines causes the paler moire pattern.

You may, using Fill and No Stroke, and presuming the same number of Anchor Points in either end, none in between:

1) Give the intermediate shape either colour, copy it twice in front, and hide the two copies;

2) Change the original to the other colour, copy it in front, and move the new copy a little bit (1 pt, 0.1 mm, or something like that) towards the other end;

3) With both copies selected, Pathfinder>Minus front (Subtract from shape area pressing Alt/Options in older versions);

4) Show/select the first copy from 1) along with 3) and Object>Blend>Make;

5) Show/select the second copy from 1) along with 4) and Object>Clipping Mask>Make.
          • 2. Re: Using a Blend Changes Color.
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I was able to do this but not the way Jacob did it if you need an alternative this is what I was able to achieve with an effort.

Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 6.05.10 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Using a Blend Changes Color.
              Doug Katz Level 4

Why blend at all? Why not create the connecting contour and fill it with a simple, linear gradient from one circle color to the next at the desired angle?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using a Blend Changes Color.

At least I have presumed that the transition should be curved at the ends.

If not, the task is much simpler, as Doug says. In that case it may be a balance between too uneven transition (visibly thinner in the middle) and too little transition at the ends.

• 5. Re: Using a Blend Changes Color.
                  Doug Katz Level 4

Even if that's the case, Jacob, one can make a standard rectangle, fill it with the desired gradient, place above it the contoured shape destined to sit between the circles, then make an envelope out of that shape, setting the envelope to reshape the linear gradient. Now the gradient more precisely conforms to the contour.

But from the sample image, it doesn't look like this is necessary to achieve the effect.

• 6. Re: Using a Blend Changes Color.
                    ... one can make a standard rectangle, fill it with the desired gradient, place above it the contoured shape destined to sit between the circles, then make an envelope out of that shape, setting the envelope to reshape the linear gradient. Now the gradient more precisely conforms to the contour.

What an excellent way, Doug. Of course. One should never forget the wonders of envelopes.

• 7. Re: Using a Blend Changes Color.
                      martcol Level 4

Thanks everyone,

I think in the end, I'm going with a gradient but asking the question about the blend was also about learning the tools.

Thanks Jacob for pointing out that technique and after I've fixed up my gradients, I'm going to look at envelope warp.

Beam me up Scottie!

Martin

• 8. Re: Using a Blend Changes Color.

For my part you are welcome, Martin.