8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 10:04 AM by alanjhalls

Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?

alanjhalls

So I purchased CS5 a bit ago and was pretty happy with my encoding speed considering it was on a 2 year old computer (P4 2.8 quad core, no HT 6GB RAM)

I wanted to see if upgrading my GTX 8800 (325MB) to a GTX 470 (1.3GB RAM) would speed up encoding. Unfortunatally when I removed the old video card the motherboard smoked.

So I did what anyone (here) would do, I planned a massive upgrade.

New Computer:

Intel Core i7 930 (socket 1366) with HT

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R MB

12GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 470 (1.3GB RAM)

Raid 0 7200 RPM (2 drives) Slave (where media is)

Processing .mts files 1080 60i and my computer with $1200 in new parts seems to be actually slower than the old one??? ATM it is processing a 25 minute file at 720p 1100kbps which is taking 50+ minutes to encode.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article. A wild guess is OE, but with relevant details more can be said.

• 2. Re: Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?
            alanjhalls Level 1

I am encoding the next quality in the sequence, same file, 320X180 400kbs, 52 minutes left. My CPU is pegged at 100% for all 8 processes, 5.6GB ram in use.

So far the things I have been trying is creating a RAID, moving scratch disks, and asking for help

What is OE?

BTW I looked at the article, CPU affinity is set to all 8.

1.The codecs used in your source clips = AVC
            2.Premiere Pro =CS5
            1.Version number = 5.0.0
            2.Installation language=  English
            3.Updates applied =NA
            4.Project/sequence settings =  AVCHD 1080 60i
            3.Operating System = Windows 64bit
            1.Name = Alan
            2.Update/patch level =Current
            3.Installed language =English
            4.Display resolution and color depth. 1920X1200 32bit

4.CPU type and speed = Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core 2.8 GHz (socket 1366) with HT
            5.Amount of memory (RAM) = 12GB

6.Video card = GTX 470 (1.3GB RAM)
            1.Manufacturer = Nvidia
            2.Model GTX 470
            3.Driver version 8.17.11.9741
            7.Number of monitors (displays) in use 1
            8.Audio card Onboard
            1.Manufacturer Realtek
            2.Model Not listed
            3.Driver version 6.0.1.6029

9.Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
            C= 1500 GB, Remaining 462 GB
            D= 2000 GB, Remaining 2000 GB RAID 0 (2 drives)
            E= 4000 GB, Remaining 1662 GB RAID 0 (2 drives)

1.Disk setup
            C = Primary OS and Installation of Adobe products
            D = Scratch Disk
            E = Media Disk

10.Hardware capture device = Panasonic AG-HMC150
            1.Manufacturer =Panasonic
            2.Model =AG-HMC150
            3.Driver version number

• 3. Re: Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Upstream you say "Processing .mts files 1080 60i" and the message I am replying to you say "encoding the next quality in the sequence, same file, 320X180 400kbs"

Going from HD down to 320x180 is a HUGE change... so taking a long time is not a surprise

When I go from AVCHD 1080i30 (60i) square pixels, which is 16:9 interlaced 29.97fps 48khz audio to a DV NTSC Widescreen AVI file, the process is about 2 for 1 - a 12 minute test video took 6 minutes to encode

My computer is listed in my notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM 

I think your time is a function of what you are doing

And... OE = Operator Error

• 4. Re: Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                ATM it is processing a 25 minute file at 720p 1100kbps which is taking 50+ minutes to encode.

I am encoding the next quality in the sequence, same file, 320X180 400kbs, 52 minutes left

Encode settings would be helpful. Encoding a complex timeline with 4 video tracks, consisting of AVCHD 1920 29,97P and 29.97i, XDCAM-EX HQ 1920 25i, HDV 1440 25i, DV PAL 25i, with numerous effects, transitions, keyframes with bezier curves, and exported to H.264 with HDTV 720p High Quality encodes nearly real time here.

• 5. Re: Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?
                  alanjhalls Level 1

Single track, Only effect is a color correction to brighten it up a little. Single audio imported mp3 16 kbs. I can encode the same file with AVS Video Converter in under 25 minutes, but with no color correction. Basically I am only trimming the start and finish of a file, editing the audio in soundbooth to take out the rumble of the air conditioner and exporting. Exporting as FLV with settings already mentioned.

Odd to assume OE

• 6. Re: Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Odd to assume OE

With a likelyhood of over 90%, based on the questions posed here and the limited info supplied?

BTW, what do you mean with ATM? Adobe Trade Market, or what?

• 7. Re: Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?
                      alanjhalls Level 1

ATM = At The Moment

In response to John's idea about it being a big shift from 1080 to 320, I am now building the same project without resizing video, still 1080 at 2000kbs with a 25 minute video. Encoding time 1 hour 15 Minutes.

• 8. Re: Why am I taking so long to encode on a screaming computer?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

That sounds too long for your system.

Have a look at the second included link in this link: Some suggestions...

and if you have more than 40 - 50 processes running, start cleaning up. Otherwise post the requested results.