6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 1:53 AM by SUS_Admin

Project Save Error

SUS_Admin

I am getting the following error in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 running on Windows 7 Enterprise x64 when trying to save any project to our shared network area:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Error.jpg

A Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) trace reveals that premiere is requesting the “Write DAC” permission:

Date & Time:     17/06/2010 16:09:28

Event Class:     File System

Operation:         CreateFile

Result:  ACCESS DENIED

Path:    \\Server1\Media_Shared\Adobe\Premiere Pro\5.0\4~1.prproj

TID:      5600

Duration:           0.0002955

Desired Access:            Generic Read/Write, Delete, Write DAC

Disposition:      Open

Options:           Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File

Attributes:         n/a

ShareMode:      None

AllocationSize:  n/a

Why is this permission required in Premiere CS5?

Many Thanks,

Julian

• 1. Re: Project Save Error
          jeremy d. Level 3

Well, because we need to write to the file.

Will Premiere let you save the project to a local location?

• 2. Re: Project Save Error
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Adobe was never designed to run off networks.

I have no problems saving to a network drive and running off a network drive (albeit at lower speed than local projects) and no problem in using networked assets, so the most likely cause is in your permissions, so ask your SA.

• 3. Re: Project Save Error
              SUS_Admin Level 1

Premiere will let me save to local location or a network location that has "Full Control" permissions.

Of course the file needs permissions to be written but Write DAC is not required to write a file it is the permission to modify the DACL of a file. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa379607(VS.85).aspx describes the Write_DAC permission as "The right to modify the discretionary access control list (DACL) in the object's security descriptor." This is a permisison that I intentionally do not grant to users on a shared network drive.

I'm looking to understand why premiere needs to modify the DACL.

• 4. Re: Project Save Error
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The best way to use PR is with full administrative rights.

• 5. Re: Project Save Error
                  Raad90

I'm experiencing the same issue in my environment with creative cloud applications, both prelude and premiere, and have been unable to find any further information regarding why the application requires specific DAC rights or whether a work around exists. From a security perspective it is irresponsible to grant such rights on a home directory or to elevate everyone's rights to administrator.

Currently are your users home directories sitting on a standard windows share or are you using another vendor to provide the storage?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

• 6. Re: Project Save Error
                    SUS_Admin Level 1

I was unable to find any information why the Write DAC permission is required. We still run Adobe CS5 but I’m disappointed to hear this hasn’t been addressed in later versions!

The work around we use is to grant “Full Control” share permissions but not allow “Change Permissions” file permission. It seems that premiere requests the Write DAC but never uses it.

Our user directories sit on standard windows shares. I also tested using Linux and samba shares but did not experience the issue. I think this is due to the much simpler Linux permissions model.

Hope this helps,
                    Julian