4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 11:21 AM by csc309

Scale Mask Help

csc309 Level 1

I am new to after effects so this is probably easy but I cannot figure it out.

I am trying to animate the path that is defining the mask while keeping the exposed object beneath the same size (so over time just exposing more and more of the object beneath). Below is a simple illustration of what I am talking about. So it would appear as if you are flying into the star and then through the star to the scene behind.   This seems very simple but I cannot figure it out.

The only animateable option that I can find that does something similar is the "mask expansion" but that distorts the shape of the path as it gets larger and larger (the star in this case would not stay a star, it expands into a circle).  Also if I transform the the "scale" then it scales the entire layer, not the mask path.

So any help would be appreciated.

Also if there is an effect that can be added to add depth the the masked object that would be great to know as well. (So in this case, a way to add thickness to the gray layer. This thickness would be noticed as you flew through).  I am trying to create the feeling of flying through an object similar to flying through a window or short hallway to the scene behind. if you know of a tutorial that would be great.

thanks.

Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 1.59.49 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 2.00.30 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 2.00.57 PM.png