4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2007 6:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

show images in select list

bharley
      Hello,

I need to create a selection menu that display's JPG images. I have an Access DB that I store the image file names, when I query it and setup a select menu I can get it to display the text from the database no problem....however what I need is to display the actual JPG in the menu list.

Users will be selecting their option based on what the JPG looks like rather than the filename itself - so in the menu they need to see a small JPG image selection list.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(I've also been able to query the DB to get the filenames and place the JPG's in image holders within tables and directly on HTML page - but no go on any menu selectable type list.....)

Any help is appreciated....

• 1. Re: show images in select list
          Level 7
          i believe what you wnat to do is not possible at all...
          <select> and <cfselect> tags are not meant to display anything but text...

what you could do as an alternative, is display thumbnails of your
          images with a checkbox next to each, and have your users check a
          checkbox next to an image to define their selection?...

--

Azadi Saryev
          Sabai-dee.com
          http://www.sabai-dee.com
          • 2. Re: show images in select list
            edbri871 Level 1
            The thumbnail idea by Azadi is a good one because the select and cfselect tags were never meant to display images.

Goodluck
            Brian
            • 3. Re: show images in select list
              Level 7
              Thanks for the feedback. Here's what I've come up with.

I created my query and have the cfoutput generate table data <td> within a
              table. This builds the table of images I want nicely. Then I inserted that
              into a spry collapsible panel. Also on each image, I setup an "on-click"
              action to set the variable I need. I've made the panel collapsed by default.

Now I can click on the panel - it drops down and shows me all the images;
              when I click on the image I get the filename set to a variable for further
              processing.

I didn't know the <cfselect> could only do text. That's a bummer because it
              could be much more flexible and easier to do this with that option.

"Azadi" <azadi@sabai-dee.com> wrote in message
              news:fadmic$abs$3@forums.macromedia.com...
              >i believe what you wnat to do is not possible at all...
              > <select> and <cfselect> tags are not meant to display anything but text...
              >
              > what you could do as an alternative, is display thumbnails of your images
              > with a checkbox next to each, and have your users check a checkbox next to
              > an image to define their selection?...
              >
              > --
              >
              > Azadi Saryev
              > Sabai-dee.com
              > http://www.sabai-dee.com

• 4. Re: show images in select list
                Level 7
                Thanks for replying..

"edbri871" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:faft39$6nc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > The thumbnail idea by Azadi is a good one because the select and cfselect
                > tags were never meant to display images.
                >
                > Goodluck
                > Brian