4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 9:36 AM by the_wine_snob

On Which Drives to Put What

flbreen Level 1

If you have 2 drives then you can put Windows 7, CS5 on C: and Projects, and assets on D:.

If you have 3 drives or more how do you specify Scratch Disks (Captured Video & Audio, Video & Audio Preview) and (Media Cache Files, Media Cache Database) to get the best performance from Premiere Pro?

I have not gotten my copy of CS5.

I am using the names from CS4.

If there are there considerations in Premiere Pro CS5 please include them.

• 2. Re: On Which Drives to Put What
          flbreen Level 1

Harm

I am building a PC with 5 drives.

If I use your design for 5 drives then all I have to do is go to D: open a folder and put all the files associated with a project in that folder (project, assets, and exports)?

I would let the project use default locations for all its scratch and media files?

Could you give me a link to an article on how to put those 4 drives in a raid 3/5 configuration?

• 3. Re: On Which Drives to Put What
            Harm Millaard Level 7

In your preferences you have to set your media cache location and in your project settings your scratch disks.

To setup a Raid3, requires a pretty expensive Areca controller. For Raid5 using the on-board chip, you have to use the BIOS and it is fully described in the mobo manual.

For background info: Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the...

• 4. Re: On Which Drives to Put What
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For ease of "housekeeping," I group all Projects on my D:\, complete with Copies of my Assets, and Scratch Disks. Everything is under a Client root folder, with each Project self-contained. As an aside, I do a lot of migration of Projects between computers, so keep everything in one place on an external, giving up a bit of performance. Still, each Project is neat, self-contained, and easy to clean up after I am done.

For ultimate performance, many will locate Scratch Disks separately, and all media separately. The only downside is when one goes to Delete finished Projects, as they are scattered about. Still, the more one can spread the I/O load over separate, physical (very, very important) HDD's, the better the performance. Just be sure to use logical, and easily remembered folder structures, for when you need to go in and Delete files/Projects no longer needed.

Good luck,

Hunt