8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 6:36 AM by lisaellensegal

custom video dimension

lisaellensegal Level 1

can i create a video that is custom size - say 190 px x 850 px and how?  I want to create a flash video banner for my website using premeire pro.

• 1. Re: custom video dimension
          Colin Brougham Level 6

When you create a new sequence, on the General tab you'll see an option called Editing Mode. One of the choices is "Desktop" which will let you set up most/all parameters to your specifications. If it's something you'll be doing a lot, set it up once, and then save it as a custom preset.

• 2. Re: custom video dimension
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I want to create a flash video banner

You may be better off using Flash for that.  After all, that is what Flash is for.

• 3. Re: custom video dimension
              lisaellensegal Level 1

I understand that Flash is the place to create video for the web, however, I can create a video in premiere in under an hour (including my creative time).  I only have a very basic understanding of Flash - I've been busy working with Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Illustrator, Photoshop, Encore, Audition to name a few.  What are the major drawbacks to creating a banner (no links) and then either importing to Flash to optimize for web or going right to a flv?

Thanks

• 4. Re: custom video dimension
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The only possible drawback, that I can think of, could be a slight loss in quality. Since you are doing any interactivity (there is where Flash would be the only way), your workflow should be just fine. I'm about the same way with AfterEffects. If I can do the work in PrPro, with maybe some PS work, I'll choose that, over bashing about in AE. Now, I'd be better, and do less "bashing about," if I'd just force myself to leave my comfort zone and use AE more often.

Good luck, and I think that Colin has helped you get to where you wish to be.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: custom video dimension
                  lisaellensegal Level 1

Thanks Bill - very helpful, as was Colin's reply!

• 6. Re: custom video dimension
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome, and thanks to Colin!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: custom video dimension
                      John Shearer Level 1

Lisa, did you successfully out put to custom size? I am trying to make a video like the video Wistia has on their home page for my Seattle Construction company. Is your video live? Thanks,

• 8. Re: custom video dimension
                        lisaellensegal Level 1

Dear John,

I followed the following instructions from Collin for custom sized video:

"When you create a new sequence, on the General tab you'll see an option  called Editing Mode. One of the choices is "Desktop" which will let you  set up most/all parameters to your specifications. If it's something  you'll be doing a lot, set it up once, and then save it as a custom  preset."

I output as flv file.  I can upload to youtube as is or if I want to add to a webpage I import it into flash and either embed or link it to a "player"  and then add to my page.  Here is an example (I don't think that I used a custom size on this video) http://segalmediaproductions.com/sophie/fitzpatrick.html.

As far as using in a banner I am experimenting with using a pre-packaged gallery (webassist.com) so that my clients can make changes to the banner as they please.

Hope this helps,

Lisa