11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2010 1:17 PM by Tom Mullica

New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)

Tom Mullica Level 1

I just upgraded from Adobe Premier Pro CS2 to CS4.  After installing it on my PC computer (XP) I also decided to upgrade my computer drives and memory.  My classroom in a book states that three drives are best.  Drive one is dedicated to the operating system and programs, drive two (the fastest drive) dedicatd to captured video and video previews and drive three dedicated to audio, misc. still images and exporting.

I told my computer tech what I wanted and yesterday I picked-up my computer with an invoice that read:

1 - EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 192 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 X 16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

1 - Western Digital 250GB SATA 16MB 7200rpm 3.5" Hard Drive Raid with current 250GB

1 - Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green SATA 7200rp 64MB Hard Drive Windows Backup Drive

1 - 1 GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin (total 3GB RAM)

1 - Rebit Backup Software Windows XP (required for XP)

1- Set-up Window XP RAID with backup software and drive

My tech told me that EVERYTHING would be saved to the 'C:' drive!

HERE'S MY QUESTION: When I booted-up my computer and checked 'my computer' I only saw one drive listed - The 'C:' drive. (WINXP).  Also listed was my 'E:' drive (DVD RAM Drive), a Rebit icon and two folder files (my documents and shared documents).

I expected to see 3 drives.  My tech told me that RAID means to connect the drives.

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS:

1 - What exactly doe RAID mean/do?

2 - Do I create FILE FOLDERS on my 'C:' drive for all my CS4 files?  Importing/Rendering/Backup/Scrath/Previews/Etc.

3 - SOMEONE OUT THERE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DIRECT MY CS4 FILES TO THEIR APPROPRIATE PLACES AND WHERE THAT IS.

THANKS

Tom

• 1. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

RAID is a array of physical HDD's, and can be hardware, or software managed. The two main uses are for an increase in size (say two physical HDD's seen as one) and speed, as the reads/writes are spread over two HDD's, instead of one. Another use is for redundancy, where images of the HDD's are stored on another in the RAID setup. There are also combos of both, and require more physical HDD's in the RAID. Harm Millaard's ARTICLE is good for breaking down the RAID.

Also see his ARTICLE on HDD setup and allocation. Also see this ARTICLE.

Special thanks to Harm Millaard.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. Raid either stripes or mirror the disks, but if you are not using uncompressed footage Raid is not neccessairy anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

2. Dont create folders on the C drive. The C drive is only for OS and programs and nothing else. Dont save anything to your C drive.

Good pc practice is even to relocate My Documents to another drive.

3. Make a folder on the 1 TB drive and name it Premiere. In that folder you create another folder for your project (one forlder for each project).

When you make a new project in Premiere CS4 you set the location to that folder.

As you are new to Premiere i would put everything related to that project in the same folder.

When you get more used to Premiere you can set up things differently.

new project location.png

Project setting should look like this:

Project settings.png

• 3. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
              Tom Mullica Level 1

Ann...

Thanks a million.  Let me digest this and if I have any further questions,

I'll get back to you.

Tom

• 4. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
                Tom Mullica Level 1

Bill...

Thanks for the info...one more question:

With my set-up...WHERE would you save my Premier project/files.  I only show a C: drive and a rebit icon when I go to MY COMPUTER.  I think the rebit is the 1TB HD used for auto back-up...which I CAN'T ENTER/USE.  Did my tech set-up my drives wrong?  HELP!

Thanks in advance, Bill

Tom

• 5. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
                  Tom Mullica Level 1

Ann...

I think the 1TB HD is used for auto back-up with rebit...I can't use (enter it) for the Premier files as you suggested.  Did my tech set-up my computer incorrectly?

Tom

• 6. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Considering your setup, as it stands now, I am not sure that you have an option, unfortunately.

In a perfect world, the allocation would look something like this:

C:\ OS, programs and possibly the Windows Page File (Statically Managed)

D:\ Projects w/ Scratch Disks

E:\ Media

I am not sure that you are getting any benefit from having the backup only disks in RAID. Were this my system, I'd break the RAID, and add one more physical HDD, and set that up for the backup program. As I do not know that backup software, there could be a good reason for the RAID, but I rather doubt it.

Right now, you are relegated to using the C:\ for everything, and that is anything but ideal, as it will create bottlenecks, as the OS, the program, the Project files and the Media will all be competing for reads/writes. I am not sure that your tech fully understood your needs for video editing. I would print out Harm's articles, and share them with the tech, asking for his/her input on how best to proceed.

If I were doing a RAID in the system, it would be for the media drive, and probably for the Export drive, if separate. If one did keep the RAID, I would think of adding two more physical HDD's. Not sure how large the backup-only drive should be, but maybe there are some guidelines in the software, or on their Web site.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you need to go back to your PC store and get this fixed.

Stick to the reconmendations as stated in the Classroom in a Book.

• 8. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
                        Tom Mullica Level 1

Hi again Ann...

I contacted my tech about what you said and he responde with this letter.  Does he have a point or should I ask him to do what you/classroom in a book suggests?

----------------------

Ok Tom,  we will remove the RAID configuration drive so  that is has Drive letters. 
                        You will loose the performance aspect: "RAID is a array of physical HDD's, and can be hardware, or software managed. The two main uses are for an increase in size (say two physical HDD's seen as one) and speed, as the reads/writes are spread over two HDD's, instead of one"

The 1TB will still be the BACKUP DRIVE, shown as Rebit.   You Only have access to that to recover data or System Disaster.

(Drive letters may be different than you listed)

As you may have noticed the speed of the storage and Scratch Disk is a BIG factor of the Adobe process!

The settings you and the tech are asking for are based on the old rules.

However,  since this is what you want I apologize for doing it the way adobe instructed us to do it for previous customers (who are happy with the RAID setup).  We will convert your drive to your request.

Please bring the machine back at your convenience (on a weekday) and I will have it done ASAP.  If I have it in the morning you wil have it by afternoon.

Again, the backup drive is a REBIT drive you will not have access to it other than for data or system restore.

My sincere applogies, Matt

ANNE..Let me know what you think before I return my computer...THANKS

Tom

• 9. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
                          Tom Mullica Level 1

Bill...

I went back to my tech and told him what you said...he sent me this e-mail:

Ok Tom,  we will remove the RAID configuration drive so  that is has Drive letters. 
                          You will loose the performance aspect: "RAID is a array of physical HDD's, and can be hardware, or software managed. The two main uses are for an increase in size (say two physical HDD's seen as one) and speed, as the reads/writes are spread over two HDD's, instead of one"

The 1TB will still be the BACKUP DRIVE, shown as Rebit.   You Only have access to that to recover data or System Disaster.

(Drive letters may be different than you listed)

As you may have noticed the speed of the storage and Scratch Disk is a BIG factor of the Adobe process!

The settings you and the tech are asking for are based on the old rules.

However,  since this is what you want I apologize for doing it the way adobe instructed us to do it for previous customers (who are happy with the RAID setup).  We will convert your drive to your request.

Please bring the machine back at your convenience (on a weekday) and I will have it done ASAP.  If I have it in the morning you wil have it by afternoon.

Again, the backup drive is a REBIT drive you will not have access to it other than for data or system restore.

My sincere applogies, Matt

BILL...should I leave my computer alone...do you agree with my tech?  Should I return it and have him do it according to what Adobe Classroom In A Book says?

Thanks again, in advance...

Tom

• 10. Re: New DRIVES installed but only 1 listed (raid question)
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Tom,

Read these three articles:

Adobe Forums: Storage rules for an editing rig. Some...

Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the...

Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

Your Rebit drive could easily be a single smallish (160 GB) disk. It is a waste to use a 1 TB drive for that.