11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2010 1:05 PM by rode40

PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM

rode40

I have recently installed Version 7.0 from an Adobe disk but when I open the programme I get the following pop-up message:-

"A reduced set of content (Instant Movie Themes, Title and Menu Templates etc) has been installed. To install the full content set, please insert your program DVD and run Install Content.exe.

If you do not have a program DVD please visit http//www.adobe.com/support/downloads/productjsp?product=101platform=Windows to download the content installer."

Firstly when I run Install Content.exe my computer doesn't find anything.  I have searched all files on the disk but can't find anything not installed except instant movie themes which I have subsequently installed.

Secondly when I go to www.adobe.com/support etc I get a message stating "sorry page not available"

Can anyone help please?

Regards

PS This is my first time using this forum so please excuse if I am not using it correctly.

• 1. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Relaunch the install disk.

On the welcome screen, you'll see the option to install additional DVD temples, themes, etc.

That's the additional content!

• 2. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum. I think that you will find us a friendly group, and here to try and help.

When installing from media (not a download), the regular installation should also install the Functional Content. Should that not happen, your method of doing a separate install for the Functional Content should then install it. The Functional Content (Adobe's name for the Library material) contains the majority of the DVD/BD Menus, the Themes/Instant Movie Effects and Presets, and also many more Titles.

That this is not working, with either the initial installation, or with your secondary installation is puzzling. It should install seamlessly.

One thought might be to download the Functional Content files, just as though you had an installation from the download version. With a download, one needs two files, the program, and then the Functional Content, and the installation is then done in separate installations. I believe that the PrE 7 download files are still at the link in this ARTICLE. Note: the two files are archived, and are in the 7z format. These files MUST be Extracted and their folder structure must be intact. Then, when the full Extraction has been accomplished, one just clicks on the executable. In the case with the download version, one must first install the program (you already have done this), and then install the separate Functional Content. It is possible that your media is damaged, and at a point that affects the Functional Content installation. Were it me, I would get the Functional Content file from Adobe's Download site, and try that.

Maybe another user will have an idea, that is just not coming to me. Adobe Technical Support is free for installation issues, BUT I worry that PrE 7 might no longer be covered, as PrE 8 has been out for about one-half year now. I just do not know if they still handle PrE 7 issues. Also, Adobe has always had a good policy of replacing damaged media, for a very nominal price. However, with PrE 8 being the current version, I just do not know if they have replacement media for PrE 7.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
              rode40 Level 1

Hi Bill

Thanks for the information and apologies for delay in replying.  I have been away for a while and have only just got round to following your instructions.  Found the location of the download but having difficulty installing.  Have tried with IE, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome but no success with either.  I have taken screen shots of the results of each but don't know how to resolve the problem.  I do hope you can help and await your further reply.

Kind regards

Royston Harris

• 4. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When one encounters issues with downloading, it is almost always due to security settings or something like pop-up blockers at work. Each and all can contribute to a download error.

From time to time, I have done test downloads of most of these files for others, and have never had one issue, when they were unable. When their security settings were reset and all pop-up blocks, active spyware and AV programs shut down, they too were able to download.

For a general CHECKLIST on installing Adobe programs, this might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
                  rode40 Level 1

Hi Bill,

You learn something new everyday.  Disconnected my internet security (Yoggie Gatekeeper) and download started no problem.  However, I quickly aborted the download as it was indicating a download time of 3-4 hours and I didn't wish to be without protection for that length of time.  I live in a small village in Staffordshire, England (I think you are in USA but not totally sure so correct me if I am wrong) where we have maximum 2Mbs broadband speeds.  Presumably the Photoshop Elements download is large.  I have been in contact with the manufacturers of the Yoggie device to ascertain whether settings can be adjusted to allow the download through with the device enabled but haven't yet received a reply.  I may ask my son who lives in London where they have much higher Broadband speeds to see if he can download it to a USB device and then bring it up to me in the near future to install on my computer.  Perhaps you would advise me whether it is possible to do it this way?

I will let you know in due course whether I have successfully installed the download.  In the meantime many thanks for your help which is much appreciated.  I'll get there in the end.

Kind regards

Roy Harris

• 6. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct. I am in the US, and have a DSL broadband, though I do feed that through my wireless G network to my laptop (where I do most of my testing, etc.). I am also behind a hardware firewall, so I am much more secure, and only have traffic that I initiate. For normal operation, I also have three levels of software protection: AV, pop-up blocking and also spy-sweeping for most hours, especially since I have an "always on" Internet connection, though behind that hardware firewall. I guess that it's rather like wearing a belt, braces and then having a rope to hold up my trousers... Because of my hardware firewall, I feel safe shutting down my software protection programs, when I connect to, say the Adobe.com sites. When the download is complete, I then turn it all back on. Then, with about anyone, but Adobe, I will run a scan on the download file, prior to executing it - just to be safe.

In your case, the USB external will work fine. I would Copy the file(s) over to my internals, prior to Extracting (very important and this should include the full folder structure in the file), and installing, just to take the slow USB connection out of the mix. Besides, if you pay for your connection time, let your son pay for that. After all, you spent big £'s to raise him! It's now "pay back time."

Before you do the Extract and install, read over that article, linked above, just for tips like, "run as Administrator," "install on C:\," etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
                      rode40 Level 1

Hi Bill

Many thanks for the very prompt reply and thanks for the additional information.  I'm a newcomer to Premier Elements so still learning  Our son gets married in September and I know he wants' me to take some video with my camcorder and obviously I want to make a good job of the editing and finished DVD.  I have seen a demonstration of PrE7 with a guy in our village who has made a number of short movies of the life and history of our village so I know a little of what PrE7 will do.  It's certainly far superior to Windows Movie Maker which I have previously used.

Anyway, will update you further in due course.

Kind regards

Roy Harris

• 8. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Roy,

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD and world-famous author, has a PrE Basic Training Series on Muvipix. I highly recommend that, plus his various books on PrE. Those resources would be a great starting point.

Happy Editing,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
                          nealeh Level 5

Roy, you should check out magazine cover mount DVD's. There are a few UK magazines dedicated to the video/photo genre - they would be the ones most likely to have the Adobe trials on.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I've looked through some of those, when in London, and I agree - they seem very, very good. Too many of the US mags. dedicated to similar, are mostly compilations of ads, with less useful info. I probably get more useful articles from The American Cinematographer, though these seldom focus on Adobe products, even at the "pro" level.

Good call,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PREMIER ELEMENTS INSTALL PROBLEM
                              rode40 Level 1

Hi Bill

At last finally got there.  My son has 15Mbs download speed where he lives in London so beginning of this week he downloaded the files to his laptop (took just over 1 hour as against 4 hours plus with my miserable 2Mbs) and then transferred to my PC when he came up last Friday.  I have completed the installation which took quite some time as it is a big folder but haven't yet had time to check whether it's a.o.k.  I think it is, as that annoying little pop-up that said some components haven't been installed when I open Premier Elements, no longer appears so must now be o.k. 

Many thanks for your help and guidance.  Think it's over and out at last.

Kind regards

Royston Harris