5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2010 12:38 PM by the_wine_snob

Premier Pro > DVD

125Tumbleweed Level 1

I encoded the project in Media encoder. When I try to view the DVD in Windows Media, I have no sound. It seems the audio was put in a separate file. And when I tried to burn the DVD, it was unreadable in my DVD player. I need a step-by-step for Dummies. The project turned out great. I just can't get it to the DVD. I need to go from a finished project in Premier Pro to a usable DVD. Help?

• 1. Re: Premier Pro > DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest way (in my opinion) is to export from PPro to DV AVI type 2 with 48khz sound... this sould just be a standard DV NTSC or DV NTSC Widescreen export setting

AVI = Audio Video Interleave so sound and video are all in one file

Feed that file to Encore for authoring and to write the DVD

CS5 User Guide - Right click PDF link to save to your computer
          http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/CS5/Using/index.html
          http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Encore/CS5/Using/index.html

• 2. Re: Premier Pro > DVD
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Link below is for video tutorial in CS4, but CS5 is basic the same.

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-encore-cs4/

• 3. Re: Premier Pro > DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The step-by-step will depend on what version of PrPro you have, but here is the basic workflow. It assumes that you have PrPro 2.0 CS2 Production Studio, or PrPro 2.0 and EncoreDVD 2.0, or CS3 thru CS5. In those later versions, Encore is included. There are variations, but they require a bit more work, a bit-rate calculator, some knowledge of bit-budgeting and some math skills. The workflow below is the simple, but sure version.

In PrPro, complete your editing and then Export (exactly where will depend on version) as elemental/elementary streams, i.e. one Video-only and one Audio-only file. For the Video, choose DV-AVI Type II and Export Audio unchecked. For the Audio, choose PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit with Export Video unchecked. This results in one Video stream AVI and one Audio stream WAV (two files per Sequence). In Encore, Import the Video-only AVI as a Timeline, and the Audio-only WAV as an Asset. From the Encore Project Panel, drag the Audio-only WAV to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place. Do this for each Sequence, getting one Timeline per Sequence. Use Playlists, if necessary for any Play All, or similar, create, or choose Library Menus, and complete all links. Do not use Overrides anywhere, but instead create Playlists as needed. Now, Preview and when ready, Build the DVD to either Folder, or to disc. Leave Encore set to Automatic Transcode.

Use top-quality blank media, such as Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden and burn at about 1/2, or so, of the Max Burn Speed.

Done.

Now, if you let us know which version of PrPro you have, and if you also have Adobe Encore, we can tailor the above to suit. Also, remember that the above is not the ONLY way to do things, but is simple, foolproof and will get your DVD done.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Since this is posted into CS5, is it safe to assume that you have CS5?

If so, then you also have ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) that can bypass the Export/Import phase above, but there can be issues, depending on a couple of things in one's Sequence. Even in CS5, the above workflow should work perfectly, and you do have Encore.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 4. Re: Premier Pro > DVD
                125Tumbleweed Level 1

Thank you!!!!  I have CS4 and, yes, I have Encore. Please tailor.

• 5. Re: Premier Pro > DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With CS4, you have a more powerful version of ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link). Still, the described method will work and should work flawlessly every time. I would start there, and when you have that workflow down, begin to explore ADL to link your PrPro Sequences to Encore more directly. If you experience any issues, you have the "old-fashioned way" to fall back on. This is a "walk before you run" situation, and will get your Projects to DVD. Also, for Encore-specific questions, please see the link that follows below, as the Encore Forum is great, with a lot of major contributors. Very helpful folk.

For some good tips on ADL in CS4 & CS5, see many great posts by Jeff Bellune in the Encore Forum. He has replied to dozens of ADL issues with great workflow tips. I keep telling him that he needs to do an addendum to his great book, The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press, and cover ADL in depth. So far, he will not listen to me...

Good luck,

Hunt