17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2010 8:56 PM by animationlife

RE: 24f, 30f, 60i

animationlife Level 1

My camera setting is at: 1440 X 1080. 1/60.. HDV 60i.  I can also shoot at 24F, or 30F.

I heard shooting at HDV 60i is good for the youTube,,  is this true. could you tell me the different

Thanks

Simon

• 2. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
          animationlife Level 1

I would like to know what is the different of shooting  with 24f, or 30f, or 60i

thanks

Simon

• 3. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
            Tayedrummer Level 1

Did you read the wiki entry?  It's a pretty good explanation as to the differences between the different scan methods and frame rates.

60i = Reality TV, TV news.

30p = Progressive scanned, aliasing is reduced.

24p = Same frame rate as motion picture film cameras.

• 4. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              30p

24p

As a point of interest, 24p and 24f aren't quite the same thing.  24p refers to 24 progressively scanned images.  24f refers to a simulation of that using interlaced imagers (either CCDS or CMOS).

• 5. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                animationlife Level 1

Thank you very much.

So if i use 60i for You Tube, Is it ok or not ?

Simon

• 6. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                  shooternz Level 6

You have the equipment and the software...

Why dont you do a litle test and satisfy your self what works best and what you prefer?

• 7. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                    Huntrex Level 2

Ether 24f or 30f would be fine. 30p has smoother motion; 24p emulates the look of film. Interlaced material (60i) should not be used on the internet, it is used for interlaced displays (TVs) and when viewed on progressive displays (computer monitors) it produces interlacing artifacts.

• 8. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                      animationlife Level 1

Well, My camera shoots at 1440 X 1080.. The video that I shot at 60i, was for the purpose of playing for home D.V.D, and now I have to upload it to Youtube.

Since I shot this at 60i, is it going to create a problem or not.

I remember in  a programs Pinnacle Studio ,By default, the 1440 X 1080 was at 50i and 60i.

Thanks

Simon

• 9. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                        shooternz Level 6

What you shot is largely irrelevant considering thats what you have already shot..

Edit it first...then...

Encode it to suit the delivery ,method or display that you intend to screen it on.

The factors to consider are file size, quality and  what is technically acceptable by the "broadcaster".

Do a test and see if Youtube will play out your 60i footage if you are determined to "re invent the wheel"

Personally... I  would  encode it using H.264 (Youtube preset).

• 10. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                          animationlife Level 1

This is what I heard about 1440 X 1080 and you tube:

Thanks

Simon.

If your source video is 1440x1080i and you want to upload to YouTube "HD," the smoothest export option is MP4 1280x720 30p at about 5mbps. That is faster than rendering to WMV, and it uploads OK. YouTube does not recognize 1440x1080i well and does not stream anything that way.

• 11. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                            Huntrex Level 2

YouTube does not recognize 1440x1080i well and does not stream anything that way.

YouTube probably allows interlaced video, but it's not recommended. (When I see interlaced video on the web, it yells: amateur!)  If the video was shot 60i, it can be deinterlaced to convert the video to 30p. There will be a slight quality loss, but compression is going to degrade the quality a lot more than deinterlacing it will. To deinterlace, choose progressive as the field order in the export settings dialogue box.

Update:

Here is a video explaining the subject in greater detail.

• 12. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                              animationlife Level 1

Thanks, please look at screen shot from the Premiere setting. Notice:

HDV 1080i30(60i) 29.97 frames/second. This is the setting i used for my editing

For Export setting for the purpose of youtube I  choosed:

MPEG2

HDTV 720p 29.97 High quality

please let me know if i am doing it correct or notpremiere setting.JPG

Thanks

Simon

• 13. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                                Huntrex Level 2

You always want to match your sequence settings with your footage 100%. So, if you have 1080i HDV that is correct.

YouTube recommends uploading videos at the same frame size that they were shot at. Plus a higher compression format could be used. When uploading to YouTube I use ether Windows Media (WMV) or flash video (FLV, F4V). YouTube will do any transcoding necessary to make the video viewable to the largest audience.

• 14. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                                  animationlife Level 1

Thanks Huntrex.

This is what you wrote:

YouTube recommends uploading videos at the same frame size that they were shot at..

The problem is You tube dose not recognizes 1440 X 1080. Therefore I have to upload the files in a different format.

From what i heard the best format to upload the final video from 1440 X 1080 is  MP4 1280x720 30p

Do you think this is true. Do you Think uploading as a media player is a better choice.

please let me know

Thanks

Simon

• 15. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                                    shooternz Level 6

Personally... I  would  encode it using H.264 (Youtube preset).

I suggested the above.  Did you try it?  What have you tried?  What were the results?

• 16. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                                      Huntrex Level 2

HDV 1080 has a PAR (pixel aspect ratio) of 1.333. Computer screens have a PAR 1.0. If HDV 1440x1080 is converted to square pixels (PAR 1.0) it becomes 1920x1080, which YouTube should be able to handle fine. That would be the highest quality method.

It would also be just fine to upload 1280x720 30p in the MP4 format.

Just as a side note: If the highest render quality is wanted, make sure and check "Maximum Render Quality" in the export settings dialog box. This will use better quality deinterlacing and scaling algorithms. The downside is that the render will take longer to complete.

• 17. Re: RE: 24f, 30f, 60i
                                        animationlife Level 1

I have not had any quality lost problems. I just want to be sure, I am doing it correctly. As far as uploading 1440 X 1080 to youtube. It failed many times. That's why I uploaded as 720.

Thanks

Simon