3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2010 12:55 PM by Harm Millaard

Unknown error in encoding - low memory?

joelgrange

I am trying to export a 10 minutes HD sequence in Premiere CS 5 into an MPEG 2 format.

I have had no problem with this with shorter sequences (less than 5 minutes long). However, I have a 10 minutes sequence to export and after exporting about 6 minutes of it, Premiere fails and gives me an unknown error in compiling the movie. This seems to happen at the same time as Windows tells me it is running out of system memory. I have a 64bit system with 6GB RAM and dual quad core Intel Xeon 2.27 GHz processor. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Joel

• 1. Re: Unknown error in encoding - low memory?
          joelgrange Level 1

I just figured out something that might resolve the problem on this. My memory setting in Preference was set to "Optimize rendering for performance". I have just changed this to optimize for Memory. According to the F1 files, this should handle...Still testing.But if anyone else knows of something better to do, then let me know.

Joel

• 2. Re: Unknown error in encoding - low memory?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Joel,

If that does not help, and it should to some degree, please take a look at this ARTICLE, as there might be some useful tips in it. If you have Win7, be sure to follow the link in Reply 4 to Black Viper's comments on optimization.

Also, take a look at this ARTICLE for some more comments on Resources/Memory.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Unknown error in encoding - low memory?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Joel,

Lately there have been some posts by people who had some difficulty with calculus, like 2 x 6 = 24, etc. and I hope you are not among them.

You say dual quad core, which in my opinion makes for 8 physical cores and you have 6 GB RAM. Intel suggests a minimum of 1 GB per core, so 8 GB would be the minimum recommendation. As you stated in your topic header, that is a likely candidate for your problems.