5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2010 9:43 AM by Laer2

Standard and good audio codec with Quicktimes?

Laer2 Level 1

I'm surprised to see there doesn't appear to be any documentation on the audio codecs available in Quicktime.  I have no idea which one's are better than the others, nor what the difference between any of them are... nor even if they are all compatible with all other platforms, etc.

Could anyone let me know what is a safe (compatible with most/all platforms) and good (good compression and quality) for online quicktimes?

Audio doesn't have to be incredible... just 'good enough' for 300x200 pixel clips.  Not looking for 'exact frequency responses', etc...  Just something that doesn't sound like sizzling bacon. 

Could someone tell me what their favorites are... and maybe some info on some of them?  Right now, they are completely foreign to me.

Thanks...

(If it matters...  WinXP Pro, Adobe Production Suite CS3)

• 1. Re: Standard and good audio codec with Quicktimes?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AAC all the way....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Standard and good audio codec with Quicktimes?
            Laer2 Level 1

I don't see AAC anywhere in Quicktime's audio codec list.  Does it go by other name?

• 3. Re: Standard and good audio codec with Quicktimes?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sorry, didn't consider that AE only uses AAC with its own H.264 encoders. In thjat case I guess you are tuck with IMA or MACE. However, Adobe Media encoder will allow AAC for QTs, so export uncompressed from AE end then run the files through AME.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Standard and good audio codec with Quicktimes?
                Laer2 Level 1

Ya, it's bizarre....  AE has some features on its Render section, and some on it's export (....ex. You can only set Fast Start if you are exporting, not in the regular render area).

What I did since then is just render an uncompressed QT of the clip, and brought it into the standalone QT Pro player.  As luck would have it, it allows AAC as an audio codec when doing an H.264 format clip.  So, I'll try that out.

Ya, I was using IMA 4:1 previous to that... Seemed safe.  Previous to THAT (up to a day or two ago), I was always using None, as I had no clue about any of the audio codecs, since the manual doesn't appear to make any mention of them.

I'm STILL trying to get my QTs to Fast Start...  Something seriously wrong....  The HTML code AND the files SEEM to be fine, yet it still won't do it.... (although it did do it once or twice, but not since, while I was testing yesterday).

I'm trying exporting completely out of the standalone QT Pro player... I suspect something is fishy with AE's Fast Start encoding.  Should work 'out of the box'...  No idea why it's not....

• 5. Re: Standard and good audio codec with Quicktimes?
                  Laer2 Level 1

[OT Update]: Weird...  Turns out that it DOES appear that AE CS3 has issues rendering Fast Start QTs... even if I have QT Pro installed.

When I create the Fast Start movie with the QT Pro standalone, it actually works!  (Fast Starts properly online)... whereas if I try the same thing in AE, it doesn't (even though it doesn't complain about anything being wrong).

So, I guess I have to just export uncompressed QTs out of AE, then bring them into the QT Pro standalone, and spit them out as H.264/AAC Fast Start mov's.

As long as it works....