6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2010 10:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Setting Still Image Durations in Premiere Elements 8

NosyNed

I've been using Premiere Elements 4 for awhile and never did find a solution to a simple problem.   Now I can't see any improvements worth anything in version 8 either.

I have, say, 100 jpgs.  I want to create a slide show with, to start with, a constant duration of 10 seconds each.

If I just add them all I get a duration of 5 seconds each.  There then seems to be no way to pick them in groups and change them to any other duration (a feature of a number of other DVD making programs).

I deleted all the jpgs from the sceneline.  In preferences I set the duration to 350 frames (should be just over 11 seconds  -- but way not allow me to pick seconds - which is after all the result I want).  I readded all the jpgs from the project list and they didn't have 11 seconds duration (still 5).  Do I have to wipe the whole project.   Set the duration and reget all the media?

I've googled away for awhile but am too dumb to find an answer to what should be a very simple question.

I'm not clear I'm asking in the right place but I'm trying anyway.

Thanks for any help that anyone can be.

Paul

• 1. Re: Setting Still Image Durations in Premiere Elements 8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

In Edit>Preferences>General, you can set the Duration of your stills, prior to Import. That is how you would handle this.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - PrPro CS5 has just added the capability to do a Select on multiple stills in the Project Panel and then change the Duration, after Import. I would guess that PrE might have that in PrE 9, but do not know that to be fact.

• 2. Re: Setting Still Image Durations in Premiere Elements 8
            NosyNed Level 1

Thank you very much Bill.

I can do that.  I am disappointed that the handling of duration is still

so very primitive.  I haven't been able to find anything in PrE 8 that

is much of a step up from version 4.   PSE 8 offers at least a little so

I might upgrade that sometime.

Now I just have to figure out (again) how to make main menus work.  I

managed once with one project.

Paul

• 3. Re: Setting Still Image Durations in Premiere Elements 8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've created a free article on how to use the DVD menus in Premiere Elements, Ned.

You can find it at http://Muvipix.com.

Just type "Creating DVD menus" in the product search box.

• 4. Re: Setting Still Image Durations in Premiere Elements 8
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

The stills Duration setting has been Feature Request for some many versions now, and, as mentioned, just made it into PrPro with CS5. I would suggest filing that Feature Request for PrE, so that maybe it will be incorporated into PrE 9, due out in several months, if the normal life-cycle holds true.

I am with you on seeing little, to no need to upgrade from PrE 4 to PrE 8, but have to admit that I felt the same way about PrPro, which I use much more often. However, the changes in the CS5 suite (especially PrPro and AE), has me working to get a new workstation and then the full upgrade. There are enough enhancements to sway me completely, even at the expense of new hardware.

I do recommend Steve's articles on authoring in PrE, especially regarding the Menus. I've done a couple of articles in Tips & Tricks on modifying the Menu Sets, but Steve covers ALL topics, related to authoring. As I seldom do authoring in PrE, I have to go to his articles to "brush up," so I appreciate them greatly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Setting Still Image Durations in Premiere Elements 8
                  NosyNed Level 1

Thanks Steve,

But it won't install under Win 7 64 bit.   The dvdmenu.exe gives me a msg about not enough memory (64 meg) on a 6 Gig system.

(Your system does not meet minimum requirements.   64MB of Ram. 

Paul

• 6. Re: Setting Still Image Durations in Premiere Elements 8
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

This often happens when programs are written for the prevailing systems at the time. Then, along comes something like more available RAM, and an older program can't see it, so it throws errors like that.

I had several 3D paint programs from way-back. They were written at a time that 512K was the max RAM. They would not run on a computer with more RAM, as they were hard-coded to only go up to 512K. I loved those programs, so built a system with the latest, greatest, but ONLY 512K RAM and an OS from the era of those programs. I ran that for some years, until software companies finally offered similar, that took advantage of the advances in hardware. I then updated the OS, and filled the MoBo with 4GB RAM and still use it today as an alternate workstation, 'cause everything else was of such high-specs.

Older software can be problematic on newer systems.

Good luck,

Hunt