4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2010 8:58 AM by Yammer

Camera Raw 6.0 (and Lightroom 3) extra slow, what's happening ?

Istrasoft

Hi,

I'm having a very annoying issue with both CR 6.0 and LR 3 which is a very slow responsiveness in the photo previews.

A month ago, I was using Windows XP SP3 32bit on my machine (Intel Core Duo Q6600 (4x2.57Ghz cores) - 4Gb RAM). I had Photoshop CS4 with Camera Raw 5.x and Lightroom 2. Everything was very smooth.

Then, I moved to Windows Seven 64bit and CS5 with CR 6 and LR 3.

Now, I have exacly the same issue I had before bying my current 4 core PC, which is :

in Camera Raw, even scrolling the left thumbnails part is extremely slow (rendeing of image thumbnails), and appying the slightest change of a slider (even basic ones) takes about a second and sometimes two seconds to be applied to the image preview. Quite painful to use !

Same applies to adjustments and thumbnails in LR 3.

The thing is, the behaviour occurs even with  Canon EOS 300D RAW files which are only 6 Megapixels !

I didn't try to go back to LR2 and CS4 to check yet, but well, looks quite surprising since LR3 was supposed to be a lot faster and responsive.

As it is a clean install, I have the latest set of video drivers (it's a ATI Radeon X4800).

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do to fix this ?

Thanks !

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 6.0 (and Lightroom 3) extra slow, what's happening ?
          Yammer Level 4

Some performance issues were addressed in Camera Raw 6.1. There are great new features too. You should update ASAP.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 6.0 (and Lightroom 3) extra slow, what's happening ?
            Istrasoft Level 1

Well, I already tried but the updater was saying "Update not applicable", then now after your message I tried again but via the Photoshop Update screen and the update went fine.

Indeed, the very slow responsiveness is almost gone now I must say. I still have to try the same in LR3 but it's great news indeed.

Just out of curiosity, what was so awfully penalizing reponsiveness in ACR 6.0 ?

And, does Lightroom use the same internal 8bi plugin file to do the processing or do I have tu update Lightroom separately to get the responsiveness back ?

Thanks !

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 6.0 (and Lightroom 3) extra slow, what's happening ?
              Yammer Level 4

Istrasoft wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what was so awfully penalizing reponsiveness in ACR 6.0 ?

And, does Lightroom use the same internal 8bi plugin file to do the processing or do I have tu update Lightroom separately to get the responsiveness back ?

I don't know what they did, but I assume they rewrote some of the code which deals with some of the new process calculations and previewing, to be more processor-efficient.

Lightroom doesn't use the plug-in, as far as I know. I'd guess that would need a separate update. I haven't got it. You could tell us if it's any faster.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 6.0 (and Lightroom 3) extra slow, what's happening ?
                Istrasoft Level 1

Honestly I didnt make extensive tests with LR since ACR was so sluggish   What I can say however is that now that I tested LR with a small new catalog (about 15 pics, the same I was simultaneously loading into ACR) it is very snappy and the preview change when moving sliders is even a little bit faster than ACR. I must insist that I performed these tests with very small RAW files ( 6 Megapixels only) to rule out the amount of data to compute parameter.