19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 5:55 AM by rowby

Memory headaches

rowby Level 1

.Almost everything for my new machine has arrived, and a few  remaining items will arrive over the next few days. 

Everything but the memory.

I have a ASUS P6X58D Motherboard, 

I want 12 GB of  memory.

Unfortunately this is "temporarily" out of  stock:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227421&cm_re=N82E16820227421-_-20 -227-421-_-Product

Does  anyone else have a  P6X58D with 12 GB and is happy with their memory  choice?

If so please post your memory and brand, and perhaps  where you purchased it online (in USA).

I am weary of  googling and just want to buy my memory!   v

Rowby
        • 1. Re: Memory headaches
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I've got 12GB in the P6X58 Deluxe, using these. These were recommended on the forum here, and so far, I have had no issue. I've not really tried to push them (overclock), but they're running at 1600MHz as spec'ed. No complaints.

• 2. Re: Memory headaches
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The dilemma is that you buy memory usually only once for a system and it has to work for the intended life span of the system, often 3 - 4 years. Of course you want the best price/performance you can get and despite the fact that memory prices are much more attractive than when you last bought memory, it still is a sizable part of the total investment.

But what happens when the desired memory is 'temporarily' out of stock? Do you opt for slightly lesser memory, with lower timings at a more attractive price or do you wait, and if so, for how long? Your choice now will be something you have to live with for the next 3 - 4 years, you can't go back and exchange the memory sticks in a month time for better ones.

However, DDR3-1600 memory is so fast, that the timings will have a very slight impact on performance, so if you can measure the performance degradation, it will be at most in the the low single digit percentages, maybe even only in the first number after the decimal point.

If you are an Overclocker pur-sang, and always want to be at the top of every benchmark test there is, then it can make the difference between position X or X+1, but for our daily work or hobby, video editing, the impact will be very, very small.

• 3. Re: Memory headaches
              rowby Level 1

Thanks Colin  and Harm,

At the moment I think I will not attempt overclocking, since I will have my hands full just getting the system up to speed and getting onto my editing.  In 6 months I may want to think about overclocking and then there will be more memory options I assume!

I do have a few remaining questions.

Based on Colin's post I was ready to go ahead and get

OCZ Gold 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low  Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV12GS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227422       $365.99

OCZ MODEL # OCZ3G1600LV12GS

...for my ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboar, based on Colin's good experience with that memory in the same board.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_10666_platinum_low_voltage_tripl e_channel_12gb_edition

• 1333MHz DDR3
              • CL 7-7-7-20(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
              • Available in 3GB, 6GB, and 12GB Triple ChannelOptimized kits
              • Platinum Z3 XTC Heatspreader*
              • Lifetime Warranty
              • 1.65 Volts
              • 240 Pin DIMM

But then I saw:

OCZ Platinum Tri Channel 12GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 12288MB  (6 x 2048MB), CL7  $359.99
              OCZ model # OCZ3P1333LV12GS

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4364393&SRCCODE =WEBGOODUMP&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE    (ooops after editing I see it now at PC Express for $343.50.)  (But I might buy it at Amazon at a higher price because I like Amazon's service.)

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_10666_platinum_low_voltage_tripl e_channel_12gb_edition:

• 1333MHz DDR3
              • CL 7-7-7-20(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
              • Available in 3GB, 6GB, and 12GB Triple ChannelOptimized kits
              • Platinum Z3 XTC Heatspreader*
              • Lifetime Warranty
              • 1.65 Volts
              • 240 Pin DIMM

Based on the OCZ website Platimum is a couple levels "up" from their gold series  -- which I assume would mean better performance and perhaps better reliability???

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ddr3/,

So I think I should get the Platimum???????????????????

Any thought or comments.  And then I will order the last piece of the puzzle.

Rowby

• 4. Re: Memory headaches
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Rowby,

Keep in mind that we are talking about three choices:

1. OCZ DDR3-1600 Gold, which is what Colin uses, with 9-9-9-24 timings (around $ 370)

2. OCZ DDR3-1600 Platimum, with 7-7-7-20 timings that is currently out of stock (around $ 410)

3. OCZ DDR3-1333 Platimum, with 7-7-7-20 timings, which is your latest alternative (around $ 360)

I would put my preferences in the following order:

First would be number 2, followed by number 1 and last number 3.

Why? Because the clock rate (1600 versus 1333) will have a far greater impact on performance than the timings.

A year and a half ago I advised differently, but at that moment 1600 memory was very scarce, carried a premium price and was not as reliable as it is today.

• 5. Re: Memory headaches
                  rowby Level 1

Thanks Harm!

Since my copy of CS5 won't arrive until  friday the earliest, I will hold off and see if Amazon gets

OCZ  DDR3-1600 Platimum, with 7-7-7-20 timings that is currently out of stock ... back in stock.

Thanks for your explaination.  I inocorrectly assumed that a clock rate of 1333 was better than 1600 -- it shows how someone can get triipped up by all of these numbers -- combined with marketing hype!

If Amazon does not get the item back in stock then I'll most likely go ahead and order Collin's memory on weds or thursday.

Whew!

Rowby

• 6. Re: Memory headaches
                    rowby Level 1

Hope to make my memory order today -- I have most of the pieces of the puzzle -- just memory remains:

Spoke to Ocz technology tech support and they suggested the following for the asus p6x5d Premium  motherboard.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-PC3-12800-1600MHz-OCZ3X1600R2LV6GK/dp/B002UNGW7K/ref= sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277134093&sr=1-1

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_intel-i7_triple_channel_re v_2

for specs:

• Designed specifically for the Intel® X58 chipset / Core i7
                    • XMP Profile 1600MHz*
                    • CAS 8-8-8-24
                    • Available in 6GB Triple Channel Optimized kits
                    • Unbuffered
                    • XTC Heatspreader
                    • Lifetime Warranty
                    • 1.65V
                    • 240 Pin DIMM

Price around $370 for two sets of 6 GB at amazon.

Please compare above with Harm's comments on remaining 1600 Mz on my new "short list".

----------  Harm's comments follow ----

1. OCZ DDR3-1600 Gold, which is what Colin uses, with 9-9-9-24  timings (around $ 370)

2. OCZ DDR3-1600 Platimum, with 7-7-7-20 timings  that is currently out of stock (around $ 410)

3. OCZ DDR3-1333 Platimum, with  7-7-7-20 timings, which is your latest alternative (around $ 360)  (Eliminated from list because of 1333 clock rate)

I would put  my preferences in the following order:

First would be number 2, followed by  number 1 and last number 3.

Why? Because the clock rate (1600 versus 1333)  will have a far greater impact on performance than the timings.

A year and a  half ago I advised differently, but at that moment 1600 memory was very  scarce, carried a premium price and was not as reliable as it is today.

• 7. Re: Memory headaches
                      JCschild Level 3

as mentioned before i wouldnt touch OCZ with a 10' pole

Corsair or Mushkin 1600 cl 8-8-8-24

Scott

ADK

• 8. Re: Memory headaches
                        rowby Level 1

Hi Scott:

What do you think of these for my ASUS P6X58D Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145271

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3  12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 * PC3-1280012GB Kit8-8-8-24240pin DIMM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QSHG7O/ref=asc_df_B002QSHG7O1150271?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg -446-38-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B002QSHG7O

Rowby

• 9. Re: Memory headaches
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Just make sure that the physical height of the sticks is not too high to prevent installation of your CPU cooler. The included memory fans will probably not fit.

• 10. Re: Memory headaches
                            Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

rowby:

I have had excellent success with Crucial Ram.  Crucial is owned by Micron, one of the largest memory manufacturers in the world.  With all of the rebranding going on in the business world, I wouldn't be surprised if some companies are just reselling Crucial Ram with their logo.

Crucial has one of the best online ordering systems IMO.

• 11. Re: Memory headaches
                              rowby Level 1

Hi Chuck --

I just looked at their website.

I am impressed with Crucial's online system too. I am surpirsed that other memory companies don't use such a good ordering system.  Being able to drill down to the actual motherboard gives me a sense of security that at least I am getting the right memory for the board.

Here is what I drilled down to:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=56F7169BA5CA7304

• CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

Not cheap....  BUT if it keeps my system stable etc.

US $686.99

4GB x 3  I guess that means it goes in 3 slots.  So in theory I have room for 12 more ram in the future?....

Any thoughts?    Chuck, anyone else

Rowby

• 12. Re: Memory headaches
                                Baz R Level 3

scott

is this becasue you are not a reseller for OCZ, and you sell corsair & Mushkin.

some company's only reccomend certain brands as they make more profit ect.

Baz

• 13. Re: Memory headaches
                                  JCschild Level 3

i do not appreciate that remark at all.

i sell what i sell for a reason. FYI the profit on all of them is basically the same. i can sell any manufacturer there is.

and i dont sell ram i sell systems, i recommend what i use based on a lot of experiance.

i sell Muskin and corsair as they are the only good, stable ram for running @ 1600 and low CL ratings

most ram has major issues with subtimings and XMP profiles

the compatibility (i should say the LACK of) of memory on X58 boards is pathetic.

as you lower the ram IE 1333 or 1066 the compatibility gets better (for some)

and i have not even talked about OCing.

when you have a 1000 systems a yr experiance you tend to know what works best and what to avoid.

i also woudnt touch an Asus board any more but hey!

Scott

ADK

• 14. Re: Memory headaches
                                    Baz R Level 3

Scott,

I was simpy asking a question. The remark regarding the profit is what i have come accross from experience.

this was not a personal remark against you or your business.

Baz

• 15. Re: Memory headaches
                                      Baz R Level 3

Rowby

relax

what you need to do is make your mind up.

1. Amount of memory eg: 3x4gb or 6x2gb

2. Speed of memory (i would stay with 1600)

3. timings.

timmngs go as low as 6-upto 10. for 3x4gb 1600 the timmings are @ 9 for most company's because of speed and size of memory.

if you want to go for a 3x4gb memory, and have no issues with a large cooler then go for this kit.

Corsair

CMP12GX3M3A1600C9

check to make sure all is fine.

good luck with your choice.

Baz

• 16. Re: Memory headaches
                                        rowby Level 1

Heee heee!   I went ahead and ordered

CMP12GX3M3A1600C9

It's on its way.  I'm sure it will be fine -- but I have I think 30 days to change my mind

Thanks all for your help!

Now I only await for CS5 to be delivered hopefully this week.  Or first of next week!

Rowby

• 17. Re: Memory headaches
                                          rowby Level 1

I will start assembling the monster in a couple of days.   I've built boxes before, but will follow all of the advice I see here regarding all the various steps for optimizing --  installing windows 7, raid advice, etc.

This box will be dedicated to CS5 -- nothing else.

Lots of valuable resources here!

Rowby

• 18. Re: Memory headaches
                                            Baz R Level 3

Hi, Rowby

hope all goes well for you.

can you list your full spec again.

Baz

• 19. Re: Memory headaches
                                              rowby Level 1

Hi Baz,

Here's a link to my system build:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2915823#2915823

Rowby