7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2010 5:04 PM by asydd

Password for client downoaded swf/exe

asydd

I would like to develop a package made in Flash, if I put it on the internet as such and have downloads etc, is there a way to generate a password (or activation key and a password) that can then be embedded with the download so it can be used offline. If I can automate the process so I do not need to make individual packages but can control their use... this would be good. I don’t have a problem if they also have internet connection, but the package needs to function off line. I guess I could use a batch passwords then selectively send out passwords in that batch, but this seems heavy. Thanks

• 1. Re: Password for client downoaded swf/exe
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

what are you trying to do?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Password for client downoaded swf/exe
            asydd Level 1

I would like to be able to have someone able to buy a package online, download it and then be able to have an activation process and password(s) so that I can control its use. I can't see how I can generate something for this after I have compiled the swf. And I can't see a successful way of creating it at runtime and concealing it from prying eyes.

• 3. Re: Password for client downoaded swf/exe

you can't.  so, you would need to bulid the activation check from the start.

but i still can't see that swf checking anything except your website to see if it's activated.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Password for client downoaded swf/exe
                asydd Level 1

Thank you. I guessed as much, but then I know little about flash so thought it worth an ask. After reading your "about" section, I feel I should be asking you about my DISH, not my Flash... but I'm in the wrong country for that. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Password for client downoaded swf/exe

you're welcome.

• 6. Re: Password for client downoaded swf/exe
                    asydd Level 1

(The Adobe® AIR® file system API provides complete access to the file system of the host computer.)

Can someone tell be if Adobe® AIR® system allows Registry entries (read/write) and if so can you tell me how to use hidden registry entries.

Does Mac OS use a Registry? I know nothing of the Mac OS and do not want to spoil an Air Package by limiting it to Win OS functions.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Password for client downoaded swf/exe
                      asydd Level 1

In looking for a solution: being limited to AS2, I found that if I set up a blank AS3 page which simply loaded my AS2 file, I am able to use Adobe Air to distribute my package without any hang-ups, swapping or copying. (AS3 oooiii  - I'm getting old)

I also found: Apart fro Air providing full file access:-

AIR provides an encrypted local store (ELS) for each AIR application installed on a user's computer. This lets you save and retrieve data that is stored on the user’s local hard drive in an encrypted format that cannot easily be deciphered by other users. A separate encrypted local store is used for each AIR application, and each AIR application uses a separate encrypted local store for each user account on the computer.

Use the encrypted local store to cache information that must be secured, such as login credentials for web services. The ELS is appropriate for storing information that must be kept private from other users. It does not, however, protect the data from other processes run under the same user account. It is thus not appropriate for protecting secret application data, such as DRM or encryption keys.

Thanks everbody for your help.