3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2010 5:19 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE7 and JVC GM-HY100 Quicktime and MPEG-2

andy.nehan Level 1

Hi,  another question from me.

I take HiDef footage exclusively and currently use a tape based camcorder.

However, I am interested in getting as good a picture as I can and the JVC GM-HY100 looks very good BUT will PE7 be able to work with one of the file formats that the JVC uses? Apparently that is either Quicktime or MPEG-2 with a long GOP. The JVC puts the data on SD cards so I guess I would move the SD cards to a card reader on my PC and hence migrate the data files that way.

The JVC website goes on to say it has a VBR of 35Mbps.

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards.

Andy

• 1. Re: PE7 and JVC GM-HY100 Quicktime and MPEG-2
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I could not find a camcorder with that model number on a Google search. If you can link to the specs online, that would be helpful.

JVCs can be troublesome to work with as they often save to a file format called .MOD. If this is the case for this camcorder, there are workarounds -- but MODs are notoriously challenging for virtually all video editors.

If, on the other hand, this model records video similarly to the JVC GZ series camcorder, you may be able to use one of the project presets in version 8 to work with it.

My free article "Project Presets in Premiere Elements" at Muvipix.com explains how and when to use project presets and shows you which to use for the JVC GZ series.

• 2. Re: PE7 and JVC GM-HY100 Quicktime and MPEG-2
            andy.nehan Level 1

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/jpe/en/global/product.3207.140.html

This is the link. The camcorder looks very good but I note your concerns re file format. This link may be helpful

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/jpe/root/bank_objects/GY-HM100_brochure.pdf

But it looks though it is a MOV type file - if I am reading it correctly.

Andy

• 3. Re: PE7 and JVC GM-HY100 Quicktime and MPEG-2
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That would be the GY-HM100, Andy. Not the GM-HY100.

And it looks like it records to a number of formats and codecs:

60 Hz setting: HQ  mode:1920 x                1080/59.94i, 29.97p, 23.98p,

1440 x 1080/59.94i,                1280 x 720/59.94p, 29.97p, 23.98p

SP mode: 1440 x                1080/59.94i, 1280 x 720/59.94p, 29.97p, 23.98p

50Hz setting: HQ  mode:1920 x                1080/50i, 25p

1440 x 1080/50i,                1280 x 720/50p, 25p

SP mode: 1440 x                1080/50i, 1280 x 720/50p, 25p

Th challenge for you will be figuring out which mode you recorded to and then finding a project setting in Premiere Elements to match it!

In all, I'd recommend, for PAL video, you shoot in 1920x1080 25p and use the Hard Drive Camcorder setting for hi-def video.

As I say, JVC cams tend to march to the beat of their own drums, so I can't make any guarantees. But I'd experiment with those specs first.