4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 12:24 AM by gsekar

How to extract the content from InDesign?

gsekar

Dear All,

Please let me know the feasibility of following requirements:

I have an styled indesign file and i want extract the text based on the style i used in indesign file, is it feasibile to any scripting like vb or js.

Many Thanks,

Gnanasekaran

• 1. Re: How to extract the content from InDesign?
          Dave Saunders Level 4

Yes, it is feasible, but it needs to be more precisely specified to understand exactly what you want.

WIth a script, you can walk through the paragraphs of a story checking the paragraph styles applied, or you can use Find/Change to locate all the text in a particular style.

Have you ever scripted InDesign to do anything?

Dave

• 2. Re: How to extract the content from InDesign?
            gsekar Level 1

Hi Dave,

This is first time for indesign programming. I am completely new in indesing development area. Please sugguest if any.

Many Thanks,

gsekar

• 3. Re: How to extract the content from InDesign?
              Dave Saunders Level 4

The first thing you need to do is express clearly what you're trying to achieve.

I gather that English is not your first language, so that might be part of the problem, but what exactly do you mean by:

"extract the text"?

Do you want to export an RTF file? A tagged text file? Or are you looking to get some text into your script so you can do something to it or respond to it in some way?

Similarly, what does "based on the style I used in InDesign file" mean?

Do you want to preserve the style in your extracted text for use elsewhere? Or are you trying to extract only the text in a certain paragraph style?

Have you any experience of scripting anything in js or vb?

Dave

• 4. Re: How to extract the content from InDesign?
                gsekar Level 1

Hi Dave,

I have an indesing file, that was imported from ms word, all the styles are mapped into indesign template, so it flowed automatically, now i want to export all the content, math equation, tables and images into tagged text file, that means all the style name should come into the each and every para begining/line begining and especially the math should convert into the image or ascii code.

I have an general application development in VB.

-Rgds,
                gsekar.