6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2007 5:12 PM by Newsgroup_User

Blurry Images

deanmixon
      Hello, I am using Fireworks 8. When I create a nav bar or other image, I have an issue with the image being blurry when I import into Dreamweaver. I have image resolution set to 500 pixels per inch which seems good enough to me and I am not stretching or otherwise skewing the image in the table cell I am inserting it into. I should say that I am new to Fireworks and also that the images look fine in Fireworks. Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Blurry Images
          Level 7
          Do you have a url too look at the problem?

deanmixon wrote:
          > Hello, I am using Fireworks 8. When I create a nav bar or other image, I have
          > an issue with the image being blurry when I import into Dreamweaver. I have
          > image resolution set to 500 pixels per inch which seems good enough to me and I
          > am not stretching or otherwise skewing the image in the table cell I am
          > inserting it into. I should say that I am new to Fireworks and also that the
          > images look fine in Fireworks. Thanks in advance.
          >
          • 2. Re: Blurry Images
            Level 7
            On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:07:12 +0400, deanmixon
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am using Fireworks 8. When I create a nav bar or other image, I
            > have
            > an issue with the image being blurry when I import into Dreamweaver. I
            > have
            > image resolution set to 500 pixels per inch which seems good enough to
            > me and I
            > am not stretching or otherwise skewing the image in the table cell I am
            > inserting it into. I should say that I am new to Fireworks and also that
            > the
            > images look fine in Fireworks. Thanks in advance.
            >

PPI is of no importance when it comes to on-screen display. Forget about
            "pixels per inch" when you are creating images for the Web. Make your
            images clear, at 100% zoom in FW, then export them. Use an appropriate
            format for export, like JPG for photos, and PNG or GIF for something
            containing text or other stuff with high local contrast.

--
            Ilya Razmanov
            http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
            • 3. Re: Blurry Images
              pixlor Level 4
              The Web isn't like print, you need to work with absolute pixels, not inches and PPI. When you export your image, it will be certain number of pixels high and a certain number wide. When you place it in Dreamweaver, set the image height and width to match what the image is. If you place an image in Dreamweaver's Design view, Dreamweaver will add the proper attributes for you. (I work in Code view most of the time, but I usually switch to Design view to place images just so I won't mess up the pixel sizes.)

You can zoom in and out of an image in a graphics program, because they're smart about how they display the data. Browsers are...well...stupid. If you tell a browser to display an image at a size other than what the image actually is, it'll look bad.
              • 4. Blurry Images
                deanmixon Level 1
                I don't have an url. I checked the deminsions in DW and they are correct. In design view the image looks great, it is when I preview in a browser that it getts hosed. I am trying to do a tool bar and place in a cell in a table. The text is where you reall see the problem. I was able to overcome this prob in another webpage by creating the tool bar back grooung with no text. I added the text in DW. The background still has the issues but is not as noticeable as the text is. BTW, am exporting as png.
                • 5. Re: Blurry Images
                  deanmixon Level 1
                  I discovered something else. Forget Dreamweaver, when I preview straight from Fireworks in am IE browser window, I get the same blurry images, the look as if the have been zoomed in on. I realize I am probably making a rookie mistake somwhere, please help.
                  Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: Blurry Images
                    Level 7
                    deanmixon wrote:
                    > I discovered something else. Forget Dreamweaver, when I preview straight from
                    > Fireworks in am IE browser window, I get the same blurry images, the look as if
                    > the have been zoomed in on. I realize I am probably making a rookie mistake
                    > somwhere, please help.

The problem might be the export settings.

Open the Optimize panel, and then click on the Preview button at the top
                    of the document window. Test the image with the various export settings.
                    GIF for vector images and text with no gradients. JPEG for photo images
                    and gradients. When you like the way the image looks, test in your
                    browser again.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    --------------------------------------------------------------