6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 6:44 AM by dunaz

The case of the disappearing file...

dunaz Level 1

Hey all,

Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

My Illustrator CS5 docs go into the print queue and disappear without printing.

It happens with both of the printers here at work that I'm connected to: an HP Color LaserJet CM6040 MFP and an HP Color LaserJet 5500 dtn. I just ran into this problem today at work, so I haven't yet troubleshooted (troubleshot?) with my HP printers at home (although I wouldn't be surprised to see the same behavior).

I'm using Mac OS 10.6, Illustrator CS5. Other kinds of files print: Word, Entourage, Illustrator CS4, InDesign and Photoshop CS5, Acrobat Pro 9.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any advice to help me solve this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks,

D

• 1. Re: The case of the disappearing file...
          Tom Usrey Level 3

Don't know if this will apply to your situation. I'm on 10.5.7 and Software Update recently wanted to update all my HP Drivers. You might check Software Update on your computer.

• 2. Re: The case of the disappearing file...
            dunaz Level 1

Thanks, Tom. I just updated over the weekend to OS 10.6 and Software Update bumped it up to 10.6.4, so in theory I should be up to date. But I will definitely check! And, since I'm still at work, I don't know if my HP printers at home work...

• 3. Re: The case of the disappearing file...
              dunaz Level 1

Update: printing at home, all worked as expected, printed from all Adobe apps regardless of version, as well as email and Word. This is really weird. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if things print at work tomorrow.

• 4. Re: The case of the disappearing file...
                DesignRoo Level 1

seems to be a few printing problems with CS5. Did you create these as new CS5 documents? Or did you open older doc

in CS5 and then try to print those through CS5?

try creating a CS5 doc and copy/pasting all old material to it and see if that at least prints it then.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: The case of the disappearing file...
                  dunaz Level 1

OOOh, good suggestion! The tech support guy at work suggested it might be something with some hinky fonts, so I created a document in AICS5 with the same fonts as the file that wouldn't print at work (which printed fine at home). When I get in, I'm going to convert to outlines the doc that wouldn't print at work yesterday, see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, need to be hopping in the shower to head out for another day in the trenches.

Thanks all!

• 6. Re: The case of the disappearing file...
                    dunaz Level 1

Okay, folks, here's what I did to get these things to come out of the printer:

The AI files were mixed, some were created from scratch in AICS5 and others were AICS3 docs that were opened, edited and then saved in CS5.

There were placed raster images of various types in the files. Somehow I decided to check to see and what I discovered was that the AI files that printed had .psd and .pdf files placed, and the files that didn't print had .eps files placed. The .eps files were very old, some with creation dates as old as '04.

I opened the old .eps files in PSCS5 and saved them as current .psd files, relinked them, and viola, I have prints.

So, if you have printing problems, and you use old image files (our products haven't changed in years), try saving the files to a newer format.

Hope this info helps you.

--d