5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 2:52 PM by the_wine_snob

Burnt DVD freezes in places on playback

bjpiper

I have a JVC camcorder that produces mod files.   I usually convert them in Power Director and either work on them there or bring them into PRE 7 or PRE 8 to work on as AVI files.  I have recently had problems with playback of DVD's on my DVD player.  They freeze up and studder in places, usually nearer middle or end of CD.  Not always the same places.  I have burnt with both  PRE and with Power Director and had same results.  This only started happening in the last few months.  I never had it happen before.  Using same bunch of DVD+R that I have made good playing ones with in the past.  They are all in Power Director for converting, contacted PowerDirector with very poor results.  My Burner seems to burn other things okay.  Ran PC Doctor on it and all okay.  I use a HP Presario SR1550NX, which is getting older.

Any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Burnt DVD freezes in places on playback
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Playability issues are almost always due to the blank media used, or burning at too high a speed.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips and background.

What brand of blank media are you using? Note: brands, such as Memorex, and TDK just buy the cheapest possible and rebrand them. Often, one will get discs from many mfgrs. in a single spindle - some will work fine, but others are complete junk.

What is the speed of that media?

Are you doing the burn in PrE?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Burnt DVD freezes in places on playback
            bjpiper Level 1

I am using memorex 16X.  I had not considered the fact that some of the discs could be from different batches oe manufacturers.  I will try to find some better quality discs and try them.  I have been using the same large pack for several months and they burnt and played fine at first and I have used to save data played back on PC okay.

I have burnt using PRE and burnt using Power Director.  I have also saved to a DVD folder and then burnt with my Sonic DVD burner.  Same freezing up results.

I was thinking perhaps my burner was going bad and should be replaced, but it still burns and plays data CD's and DVD's fine.

I will report back when I purchase and try some better quality discs.

Thanks, Betty

• 3. Re: Burnt DVD freezes in places on playback
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Betty,

Memorex is about as bad as it gets. As mentioned, in a spindle of 100 discs, you might easily find products from 4 different companies, and each was the very cheapest at that moment in time.

One weakness with PrE is that it does not allow one to set the burn speed, as it does a survey of the media and the burner, and chooses the fastest. This is not good, and results in less than perfect burns, a contributor to playability issues. The best that one can do is to buy slower media, from a good mfgr., like Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden, and let PrE do its thing. OR, one can Burn to Folder, and then use the great, free utility, ImgBurn to do the physical Burn to disc, at say 4x speed. The link to ImgBurn should be in the linked article above. Be sure to scroll down their page, to get past the ads, and get to the actual download link for ImgBurn, and not any of the advertised programs - the price of "free."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Burnt DVD freezes in places on playback
                bjpiper Level 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Buying some Verbatim, Digital Movie DVD+R, made all the difference. I burnt from my PRE program and it played perfectly in DVD player.  No more freezes!

I had downloaded the ImgBurn, and it would not burn to my old Memorex discs at all.  Said bad disc and it was.  So I purchased the new DVD+ and went back to program to burn AVI movie file.  Worked perfectly.

Thank you for some good advice.

Betty

• 5. Re: Burnt DVD freezes in places on playback
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Betty,

Great news!

Now, you might be able to dig down in your spindle of Memorex and get lucky enough to find some good discs, for whomever the mfgr. was. That is what throws many people. They'll pick up 100 Memorex discs, and things go well for a bit. Suddenly, they cannot burn a DVD any longer, so assume that if the Memorex worked OK for a while, something else has to be broken. No. They just got to some bad discs.

Out of curiosity, did not notice who ImgBurn said made that disc, that would not burn?

Good luck,

Hunt